Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do people pay for Linux games?

This topic is 5665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It will depend on who is publishing the games. Your indy developers will usually put games under the gnu licence and give it away for free on places like freshmeat. Loki ported games to linux and sold them. I think ID also sold versions of its quake for linux. People will buy linux games, just not very many people. Everyone has their own theory about why so I won''t get into that.

almost every linux game you buy at stores was either ported from windows or has instant portability (can be played on all systems)... However, most linux games are usually for download...
Not many people **buy** linux games unless their UNIX diehards because they usually have a Windows machine or a Windows partition.

personally i would pay for a linux game, since there arent enough of them out right now.

imho, a good strategy would be to distribute the game on one cd, with an "unsupported" directory containing linux and mac binaries, and editing tools, etc. linux ports arent that hard to make, unless you do everything with directx

I''ll pay for Linux games if I don''t own a Windows version of the game already and I like the game (go figure). For example: I''m planning on purchasing Neverwinter Nights when it''s released; and I doubt I''ll even install it in Windows. I might buy Doom III (I assume Id is porting it, like most of their games) if it turns out that my Geforce 3 (or whatever I have when it comes out) can run it decently. Whether or not I''m an example of the common Linux user is another matter though .

I think good game programming, whatever op system deserves credit, so if it is a worthy game such as civ 3 or morrowind or the quake series....buy it, those guys can then use that cash to continue to keep us entertained.

This can delve across to the piracy issue of games. I have a huge problem with ppl that NEVER buy games because you can just get a copy. How can software companies employ would be killer programmers from this site and other sites if ppl are not prepared to pay money for a good game?

ask yourself: If you spent a whole 5 years of your spare or full time writing quake 6, and the previews heaped praise on it, would you release it for free? The same can be said about piracy - I have known of people who have made copies of games and SOLD the copies much to my protest, how F*CKIN rude is that? Why do they think they are entitled to anything?

my two cents

[edited by - fatherjohn666 on June 5, 2002 10:37:01 PM]

I would certainly buy linux games if:

1. I could find them. I can''t find too many, and as of yet, I have only bought Quake III for linux.

2. I had money. Not having a job sucks

rm -rf /bin/laden

quote:
Original post by green_guy
Do people buy Linux games or are they all GNU or freeware?

I would most definitely buy games written for Linux, and expect to be able to buy a much wider selection in the future.

It also seems like it would be perfectly viable to make multi-player-online games with open source clients (gpl, bsd, or whatever license) and charge only for the service.

-- Aaron

HollowWorks.com

[edited by - mrhollow on June 6, 2002 11:35:08 PM]

I''m ready to pay for good Linux games, the same way I pay for good Win games.
The only way Linux will be a popular gaming platform is if some excellent game is available ONLY on Linux and has no Win port. This would encourage people to install Linux. But no game developer is stupid enough to do that.
If one game is available on both platforms I will prefer the Win version because it is better supported. If there is a bug the game developper will first satisfy the 10000 people who purchased the Win version ant then the meager 100 who purchased the Linux version ( sad but true )
I''m ready to pay $5 or $10 more for a game that has BOTH Win and Linux versions on the CDs

I bought quake 3. It was the only thing I could get my hands on.
The thing runs great and I'm ready for more. I need good reasons
to spend more time in Linux. When you get down to it my comp is
for games and I like linux so lets go. I have no problem paying
for them. Go to show some support for linux gaming when you got
the chance. Other wise the good stuff will never come the linux
way. The only thing I want is for the install process to be
kept simple. Quake3 installs just like a windows app. Most
other stuff can be a nightmare for and idiot like me to install.
I used to have wine installed and could run fallout and halflife
but after installing a dif version linux I can't get the newer
versions to install because I out some needed files I can't find.
One day I'll sit down and figure out how do compile the damn
DVD players so I can use my drive. Anyway.....Games good, pay
OK. -Grunt-

Bye the way. CmndrM. you said you had Q3. You had any trouble
getting extra levels installed? About 2/3 of the characters
I downloaded work but not all of them and not one damn level.
Still pissed that Grounds keeper Willie didn't work, But I
got Johnny Bravo!

[edited by - Goober King on June 12, 2002 7:24:13 PM]

I would love to see the very "stylized" look of newer games like Giants or Black & White in a Linux game. As far as looks and style, they''re just cool. Why should I play ADOM or NetHack? I hate those games! I wanna play Giants on Linux (without the bugs)!

As a *BSD user I do actully by Linux built games. I''ve bought Quake2 and Quake3 and I''m always on the look out of more games for Linux.

Altought recently it has become very challenging to run DRI based games on FreeBSD so I haven''t beem able to play a decent game for a very long time now :-(

I''m actully looking forward to the day when an software distribtor releases a CD with more then just one system binary on it. Somethine like: Linux, Mac and *BSD all on one CD would be nice