Is this worth

Started by
6 comments, last by cpp boy 21 years, 10 months ago
Is it worth to learn mfc and dont ask me for what it in genarale a im learning win32 api for the moment soo plz answer Kevin
Kevin
Advertisement
mfc is useful if you are making GUI apps.

it is too much bloat for games.

so despite the fact that you asked " dont ask me for what it in genarale", what you are using it for is entirely the answer to your question. if you are going to be writing mostly GUI apps then yes learn it. if you are going to be writing mostly game apps then no don't learn it.

mfc is just a bigass wrapper for winAPI stuff.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on June 5, 2002 8:27:55 PM]
i was asking if it nessacery to learn mfc for application and game or i can let it go away whitout learning it at all and by game im also taking about map editor and script editor

Kevin
Kevin
That depends on what you want to use it for.

The consensus here is that MFC is not for games, but it can be used for non-realtime apps such as level editors. I use WTL (Windows Template Library), since I absolutely don''t want to write 100th WndProc besides other things. WTL is sort of MFC ATL-style: it has a lot of MFC functionality, but is implemented using templates and multiple inheritance. It''s much lighter than MFC and is far less intrusive. The only drawback is the almost complete lack of documentation, so you have to look at its source to find things out. MFC is quite old, and "works around" things that are long included in C++/WINAPI. But there''s nothing wrong with using it if it suits your needs (read: shortens development time and simplifies your code).

MFC has some overhead, but I think it''s insignificant. It''s faster to use char arrays and C-style vectors, but most will use STL containers for both. The same, I think, is true with MFC. Obviously, a number of people would disagree with me on this issue.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
quote:Original post by cpp boy
i was asking if it nessacery to learn mfc for application and game or i can let it go away whitout learning it at all

A game doesn't need to have extensive Win32 user interface, which is primarily what MFC is made for, so you probably will build your game with plain Win32 faster than learning MFC first and using it for your game.
quote:
and by game im also taking about map editor and script editor

You might want to investigate one of the RAD tools such as VB/Delphi for this kind of stuff.

[edited by - IndirectX on June 5, 2002 8:34:50 PM]
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Is .NET suitable for making games ? if so, any DirectX or OpenGL APIs for .NET out yet?
What is the deal with MFC and .NET anyways. Is MFC deprecated now or will it continue to be supported?
There''s a new version of MFC in vs.net...not backwards compatible(grrr....)

I get the feeling that most will use winforms to get fast development, but the best apps will use native code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement