Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standardizing world units

This topic is 5675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do professional engines (the quake engines, for example) standardize the world units? what i mean by this is, by reading a quake specs document, i learned that id software was able to make a 1x1 surface equal to 1 texel. the size of the surface is the same size as the resulting surface in screen space (granted the surface was right in front of the camera). id like to know how they did the texturing with this method. like how the NAT''s and lightmaps, which are enforced to 16x16 size in the engine, split the surface. i know i probably made this a confusing mess of questions, but thx to all who attempt to answer them

The geometry world units are arbitrary; only the relative distance matters, although sane people generally choose nice easy to read numbers, like 1 unit = 1 meter, depending on what kind of objects you are trying to represent.

What do you mean by:
quote:

id software was able to make a 1x1 surface equal to 1 texel

By changing the texture coordinates, you can map any arbitrarily sized surface to any arbitrary number of texels.

Everthing depends on what kind of units you choose to use and what you are trying to accomplish.