programming role-playing games

Started by
2 comments, last by brainchild 21 years, 10 months ago
has anyone read the book, programming role-playing games with directX? if so can i only learn how to make rpg''s from this book or other types too? i know that it specializes in rpgs but you can learn the basics of others, right?
So what if I'm 13, I can still code better than like 95% of Americans, and probably 99.9% of the people in the world. Whoa, I feel proud.
Advertisement
yeah i just got it today, and no sorry, as the tittle suggests it only tells you how to make role-playing games. alot of the core info (ect message handling, network, texturing, blah blah) still applies, but if you want a general game book, there are books that show how to do what you want. i believe there is one called "game programming" or "all in one game programming" check amazon.com or the gamedev book sections
Ed: I''m also looking into that book (as well as a few others.) and I''d appreciate any comments/suggestions/warnings you or anyone else has for it. (Plus if anyone can suggest game design books I''d appreciate it). Thanks.
I beg to differ.

While it''s true that the book is geared towards Role-Playing Games, it''s centred on the creation of a 3D engine which you can use to create all kinds of games. Further you also learn how to make a simple 2D engine so if you want to it''s possible to start with simple 2D games (that''s what I''m doing). The book contains solid info on D3D, DirectInput, DirectX Audio and DirectPlay. I cane solemnly recommend the book. It has a website with more info: http://home.att.net/~rpgbook/

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement