Possible Gaming Book List

Started by
26 comments, last by cyssis 21 years, 10 months ago
So those two overlap quite a bit? Hmm... Which would you say is more usefull in the long run?

As for the math: I haven't been enrolled in a public school math class since the 5th grade (they're a disgrace. for all that America has achieved you'd figure they'd actually invest in their future *sigh*.), and I don't know exactly how deep into mathematics one needs to delve, but I think I should have a good foundation. So far I've taken classes (and passed) on:
Calculus and Analytic Geometry I
Calculus and Analytic Geometry II
Advanced Multivariable Calculus
Differential Equations
Elementary Matrix and Linear Algebra

If there's other branches of math that are useful, please tell me. I want a strong grasp of the concepts before I dive into the development side of programming.

On second thought though, predicate logic doesn't sound too familiar. Does the "Discrete Mathematics for New Technology" book cover that? If so do you think I should get it? (If I eliminate one of those other two books, then I should be able to buy it.)

[edited by - cyssis on June 7, 2002 4:37:46 AM]
Advertisement
>> I haven''t been enrolled in a public school math class since the 5th grade

lol!!!!

I think you will do just fine with what you already know. If not you can always supplement it later on.

>> So those two overlap quite a bit? Hmm... Which would you say is more usefull in the long run?

The big difference between the two books is their abstraction level. Foley covers low-level details such as rendering a triangle in detail and how to do various kinds of hidden surface removal. Many of these things are taken over by hardware these days, but knowledge of these things are (in my opinion) still essential to understanding why the hardware performs and acts as it does. Heines focuses more on higher level issues and implicitly assumes you have hardware acceleration at your disposel. So I think you should have both (abnd many more) eventually. But to the real underlying theoretical fundamentals you should choose Foley. (I just love that book)
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
quote:Original post by felonius
But to the real underlying theoretical fundamentals you should choose Foley. (I just love that book)

*LOL* That book lies under my pillow when I go to sleep every night.

It can be a tough book at times, and its very low level but it gives you such a good and basic foundation for CG. Without doubt one of the best (if not THE best) book on basic, low-level CG out there.

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
hehe, it seems we agree on many things rohde - even what country to come from. Do we know each other? I am a graduate from diku; have you attended there, since you know Foley? (The graphics professor there swears by it). Your profile doesn''t give a name - is it a secret
before you buy some of them, search on limewire or kazaa in documents for .pdf. You will be amazed how many decent to excellent quality books you will find. I got 3rd edition c++ by Stroustrup (sp?) and 2nd ed C by ritchie et al. Also the OGL redbook, and tons of others on all topics. It might take awhile, but for starving student/programmers like my self, its the only option.
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com
hehe, it seems we agree on many things rohde - even what country to come from. Do we know each other? I am a graduate from diku; have you attended there, since you know Foley? (The graphics professor there swears by it). Your profile doesn''t give a name - is it a secret

You must be talking about Knud? I''ve had his Computer Graphics course. But I don''t think we know each other though No, I didn''t attend DIKU. I have a BSc (biochemistry) and am now taking a cand.it at ITU. I''m taking all the advanced computer graphic/image analysis courses I can find , both at ITU, DTU and DIKU, like the computer graphics course by Knud at DIKU, and an advanced course at DTU and also some computer analysis courses, also at DIKU and DTU (just finished Sørens (if you know him?) Computer Vision course at DIKU (boy that was rough).

"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
>> You must be talking about Knud?

Yup.

>> now taking a cand.it at ITU

This seems pretty good if you take some high level courses (which it seems you do). Doesn't it bother you that you will get the same degree as people that know almost nothing? It must confuse employers. I know a girl that was educated as a teacher for primary school and the went to ITU afterwards (on the electronic trade line). After two years of introductuary courses she completed (or is completing this summer - I don't know) with just one course in programming and no cryptography (vital given the line I should think). And then she complained to me about how they had told Mads Tofte that programming shouldn't be necessary at all - they would have people under them to do that when they were done. Not very good in my opinion. I know it bothers me that the "cand." (Masters) title is abused this way - but it must bother you more I recon.

And yes I know Søren. I am not the worlds best mathematician so I decided to stay clear of the courses in image/signal analysis. Given that image/signal analysis is not used much in game development I don't think it is a great loss. (Fortunately)

BTW, *never* *ever* take a course at diku with Laszlo Kovacs or Gregers Koch. You will regret it.

[edited by - felonius on June 7, 2002 6:12:22 AM]
This seems pretty good if you take some high level courses (which it seems you do). Doesn't it bother you that you will get the same degree as people that know almost nothing? It must confuse employers.

Tell me about it. The qualifications of somebody graduating from ITU is SO varied. Some have the talents of a datamatiker (or less), and the industry just doesn't want those people. That's why I am taking all the high-level courses. But luckily we can take course from DIKU's 2nd part and DTU and the line I'm attending only offers more or less high-level courses, but yes some people graudating won't know shit.

quote:
And yes I know Søren. I am not the worlds best mathematician so I decided to stay clear of the courses in image analysis. Given that image analysis is not used much in game development I don't think it is a great loss. (Fortunately)

LOL..I know, the math is crazy. I couldn't decide whether to go the image synthesis way or the image analysis way. But know I've chosen the first.

[edited by - rohde on June 7, 2002 6:10:08 AM]

[edited by - rohde on June 7, 2002 6:11:04 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement