PS2 Linux Kit

Started by
3 comments, last by henryx 21 years, 10 months ago
Well, I''ve got the PS2 Linux kit up and running. KDE is running fine and I''ve got it networked to my win2000 PC. gcc compiler running fine also. However, the Sony documentation is -- well almost non-existant and there seems to be little or no information on how to start programming even simple graphics with this system. Any other views/help would be welcome. Henry
HenryLecturer in Computer Games TechnologyUniversity of Abertay DundeeScotlandUK
Advertisement
Well, I haven''t gotten time to set mine up yet (damn job ), but isn''t there supposed to be a port of SDL & an OpenGL-like api as well? Or are you referring to actually writing the low-level stuff for the hardware?
You might want to check out the forums on the ps2-linux site. I''ve browsed them and have seen quite a few questions on how to find the documentation and get some code up and running.
Sigh, maybe I''ll be more help after this weekend, I just hope I don''t have to try and wrangle the blind install.
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Hey! Sounds like the PS2 Linux kit is exactly like the real development environment: bad docs and broken libs. Welcome to PS2 development friend!

Actually, they said that the Linux kit comes with all the PDF''s we (professional developers) have access to. If that''s true, there''s a PDF called "Introduction to Programming the PlayStation2" written by James Russell of SCEE that is an absolute must read if you ever have any hope of figuring out the PS2.

Documentation is on the first disc in the sm_pdf folder. There is at least one doc not included that professional developers receive which is documentation of the IOP. If pro''s receive "Introduction to Programming the PlayStation2" then there are 2 docs not included.
It SHOULD be the same thing as programming Linux shouldnt it?
I mean ... write some C in emacs and compile in GCC. Use libs such as Mesa3d and LibSDL. Get the book "Programming Linux Games" by Loki Software.
-=Moogle=-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement