virtual harddisk

Started by
8 comments, last by TheMatrixXXX 21 years, 10 months ago
does one of you know the encryption tool DriveCrypt? in this tool you can create container files which you can mount like a normal harddrive in the windows explorer can you tell me how to create such a virtual drive? and how does the windows explorer work with drag&drop? thx for your help --=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
Advertisement
You can write a shell extension to create a new folder under My Computer. I''m not sure if you can make it look like a drive or if you have to write some sort of a driver to have a virtual drive.

For drag&drop, take a look at DragAcceptFiles or just search MSDN.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
can no one help me with that ?

--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
where are the genius people?

--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
Do you need help with writing a namespace extension, filesystem driver, or searching MSDN?
You can make virtual drives using the DOS command SUBST.

Firebird Entertainment
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
i want to know HOW it works and what i have to do when i want to emulate a virtual harddisk with an image file

--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
Look, TheMatrixXXX. Nobody is going to post a function that creates a virtual drive out of any file, because:

1. It''s an awful lot of code (as in really, really, really lot).
2. This is system programming, and this site is primarily for game programmers, so few, if any, people ever implemented something like this.
3. Even if they did, they most likely wouldn''t just post their code because it took them much trouble to figure out exactly how to do things, and if you want to have a program that creates a virtual drive you have to understand how that happens, not just copy someone else''s code.
4. Even if they posted the code, you wouldn''t understand it anyway. That''s just too much code to comprehend for someone who has no even idea how to implement a similar thing.

Similarly, nobody is going to post a "How to create a virtal harddrive out of a container file in 10 minutes" guide because the size of that post would probably be sufficient to write a small book. People can provide pointers and ideas, but they won''t tell you exactly what to do. MSDN exists for such purpose.

Then you keep repeating your question even though you already have two answers. To show others that you understand their responses, you should reply to the posts instead of reposting the original question. You won''t get a step-by-step answer; see above.

Can you even implement a container file, period? With no bells and whistles, just a simple container file? If no, which is what I suspect your answer is, then making virtual drives is way over your head. Learn some Win32 API and only then try to use it. Your question, and your responses, strongly resemble "How do I make Quake4? I don''t know anything!" posts.

Tell us what you already know, what ideas you have, what your needs are. If you don''t have any ideas, say so and we will try to help you come up with some. But remember two things: look for information yourself (MSDN & Google) and reply to others'' posts.
If you want code, then download this file, it''s the sourcecode of scramdisk, the predecessor of drivecrypt. Concerning the copyright: I don''t know, I found this one on http://www.oddworldz.com/scramdicer/, so I think it is PD, however I am not sure!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
@IndirectX:
i never asked for a complete running simple to understand source code. i just thouht about my own virtual drive app and i was just interested if it is very complicated to hook a imagefile like a physical drive into the windows drivemap, and i didn´t have any ideas what to code exactly, i just had the idea and wanted to know how it works. And you are right i don´t know much about the win32 system API and i thouhgt it woult be useful to learn something about it and then not a simple program to open/close the cd-rom drive or somethink like that. And i know that this board is a game developers forum, but i know that many people are very good programmers here and so i postet that here.

@vaporisator:
thx for your post the code showed me that i need a virutal driver to do that but i just flew over the code last night.

--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--
--=[[TheMatrixXXX]]=--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement