MMORPG Server Articles?

Started by
9 comments, last by Ariel 21 years, 10 months ago
Are there any good articles on the Internet somewhere that explain the concepts behind MMORPG servers? I''m looking for something not too language-specific, the concepts are what interest me more at the moment.
Advertisement
(large) MMORPG cover a vast range of technologies and concepts, a main one is the difference between RPG and MMOG. Are you actually interested in the RPG part? Or is it the Massively Multiplayer aspect you''re interested in?
I realise this isn''t a very informative post, but i think many people make the mistake of saying MMORPG when they really just mean MMOG.
As I said, I am interested in the theories behind a Massively Multiplayer SERVER application. Not the client, not a stand alone RPG. A MMORPG _SERVER_.
And a persistent RPG server will be very different to a relatively non-persistent Action server. So, are you interested in the RPG element, or just massively multiplayer in general.
There are probably very few (if any) articles.

Unfortunately, there isn''t any one way to do it. I can think of about 5 ways to do it offhand right now.

There are any number of questions that will determine how you do it also, from the OS that you plan on using (NT/2k will give you one way, *nix opens up others), to the data structure, to whether you want it static or dynamic.

There are probably as many methods for making an MMOG server as there are companies making them.
I released the full source (client and server) for the persistant world MMOminiRPG Gang Wars written using DirectX 7.

Source is in the downloads section. Not really an article but it will give you a working model. It''s hard coded to allow 1024 simulanious connections. It''s only mini in terms of the number of variables and items.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting]
I would recommend LostLogics book "Multiplayer Game Programming" which covers the basics of MMOG server architecture. In addition to that its a very good book and is fun to read
You messed up when:- Your community is breaking up and is spamming your mailbox with "I am going to kill you !"- Your graphic development department draws hangman comics with you.- Your coders love to hack your credit card account.- You think about killing yourself...
Thanks. I didn''t say I was going to write one, I am just curious, and wanted to understand some of the theory behind it.
A good read.

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/01/31/worldforge.html
Basics?

Game runs on server, client is a fancy display.

Servers are dedicated to areas of the game world, database keeps track of information for integrity and persistency purposes. Client sends actions to game server, game server does whatever is appropriate. Server sends data local to the character to client, client displays that data in an appropriate manner. Client passes a certain point and server transfers character data to the adjacent area''s server.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

How you actually do all of this varies from implementation to implementation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement