Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supagu

HELP... d3d problem, dx not working or sumthing?

HELP me! i been working on some code using directx, now it doenst work after a formated my computer, it wont let me lock the vertex buffer, also i went to try the demo called ''new world order'' it didnt work, so i had a look what error it goet, it could lock the vertex or index buffers, does ene 1 have any ideas on y this is? could it be that i changed my drives to NTFS during the format, or could it be my video drivers? i changed to some different video drivers, and that didnt help.... arggg...

1. Install new motherboard drivers.
2. Install relevent CPU manufacturer patches (e.g AMD miniport)
3. If it''s a Win2K machine, install Service Pack 2.
4. Install latest official graphics card drivers.
5. Install latest DirectX again.
6. Test with DXDIAG

Steps 1&2 can be particularly important otherwise you might not be getting proper AGP support! - if the buffer you lock is in AGP, boom...

Also please give a bit more detail than "it doesn''t work" - in what way does it fail ? - does the machine blue screen, do you get an access violation, application fault, error code from D3D?

If you''re getting an error code from D3D/DD, running the debug SDK runtime with the output level on maximum and the code in a debugger will give you the *reason* for the problem in the debug spew.

If its a crash bug and you''ve recently upgraded to XP/2000 from 95/98/ME, then do be aware that the NT kernels are much stricter about accessing memory which doesn''t belong to you - that includes memory you''re accessing inside a lock!.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

okay how do i set it to maximum debug?

well this is what happens, when i run my engine that i made, it doesnt let me lock the vertex buffer, thats all i know, when i run a proper demo i d/led from the net it uses directx 8, it just loads to a black screen, then quites, so i looked in the error log file, and it says it cant lock the vertex or index buffer, anything that uses directx 7 seems to work, like unreal tournament, when i get home tonight i will try tribes 2 and dungeaon siege as they use directx 8,

and i''ll what you''ve suggested, thanks

quote:
Original post by supagu
how do i set it to maximum debug?

Open DirectX control panel on Direct3D page and slide the ''debug level'' slider. If you don''t have DX CPL applet, make sure you have the most recent DXSDK and that you chose to install the debug runtime.
quote:

i got an AMD, whats that miniport thing ur talkin about?

STFW.