Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VisualB4BigD

Importance of a Level Editor

If I made a game and a level editor. Would it be worth releasing the editor with the game. Would it boost enjoyment of the game? But, also I don''t want to make this level editor and just trash it and start on a new game. I mean so I make this level editor with as many lines as the game itself. I make 10 levels with it and trash it. No! I don''t think so. I also think it would be cool to have users send in levels. Well anyways does a level editor make a game more enjoy able? Please expand... Horny Farmer (Jolly Rancher)

O yeah it does. And if you have even a small fan-base, it''ll save you time on developement too. They can test for you and make levels. Just take a look at the guys Stick Soldiers who have done this very well. They actually integrated the game and the editor.

Might be a nice tip for you too since a lot of code in the game and the editor is going to be the same anyway (renedring wise...)

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

Well, dang, then what am I doing wrong? TechnoVenture has been out for years and I don''t think I''ve received a single map for the game (at least not the PC version). I concluded that you can''t depend on others to design your levels for you. The Scrolling Game Development Kit contest here didn''t do so well either. But maybe my games/editors just aren''t sufficiently interesting or publicized.

"All you need to do to learn circular logic is learn circular logic"

Allowing/encouraging people to modify your game is a good thing, and can possibly help sales down the road. Just don''t rely on people to make levels/content for you. Make a great product to start with, and others may be inspired to see what they can do with your game. A level editor can greatly increase the lifetime of your product.

But remember that if you do release any of your design tools, they should be at least somewhat user-friendly and bug-free. This is why some larger game companies now hire application developers that work only on the tools. These people are usually good at writing GUI applications with APIs like MFC.

And if a great modification/level pack comes out and people hear about it, they will have more reason to buy your product.

You can also consider doing expansion paks down the road.

Example; I bought Half-Life in order to play a MOD for it. Later, when I had free time I played through the single-player Half-Life game, and I liked it. So then I bought Opposing Force and played through it. Now I''m playing through Blue Shift. Half-Life got me hooked years after its release because someone had made a MOD for it.

--TheMuuj