• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oranda

Confusion over the BS_OWNERDRAW flag.

This topic is 5862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all . I''m trying to make a button which has both an icon and a textlabel on it. Unfortunately, it appears that the Windows API only allows one or the other. If I specify an icon, I get no text. So I thought, "Hey, why don''t I just make myself an owner drawn window??". It seemed like the perfect solution, except that I can''t figure out how to process the WM_OWNERDRAW message. I know when it needs to be drawn, sure, but how is the question. Is it depressed? Is it highlighted? Is it just a normal redraw? I don''t see any flags in the MSDN to address any of these, except selection!! Could somebody please tell me how to tell how a window needs to be redrawn? Or even better yet, how to put both an icon and a text label on the same button? Thanks.

Advertisement
Just a quick note to save you some searching: the DrawFrameControl function will come in handy when drawing your button.

Thanks guys . Kippesoep, that funtion is pretty near the top of my "Things I never knew existed but will never be able live without again" list. Thank you so much. Now I think I''m just going to call DrawFrameControl, and then use DrawText for the text and DrawIcon for the icon. Voila! A button with an icon AND text. And thank you too InDirectX, I looked at the drawdata member, but I''m afraid that the it only specifies things like selection and keyboard focus. I think I''m just going to have to monitor the mouse messages and keep track of it.

Okay, I guess I'm still stuck. I still haven't managed to figure out how to tell if one of the buttons is being depressed. The API mouse messages (WM_LBUTTONDOWN, etc.) don't apply to controls, and I can't seem to get the button notification messages (such as BN_PUSHED, BN_HILITE, etc.). I tried all of the flags in the itemState member of DRAWITEMSTRUCT, and none of those were triggered by mouse clicks either. Could somebody please show me exactly how I can do this?

[edited by - Oranda on June 6, 2002 11:00:17 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!