Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mulligan

Ever heard of this?

Mulligan    378
A friend of mine showed me a program that allows the user to type a question, then outputs an answer. It somehow linked to all kinds of search engines and responds with the most revalent information. For instance, I typed "Who was the first president?" response "His name was George Washington" Anyone heard of it?

Senses777    756
SmarterChild (message him on AIM) is pretty smart for what he was designed to do (still trying to figure out exactly what that is...)

Also, Alice is pretty smart. Dont give up on her too quickly!

As for your program, maybe it would have said "George Washington" if you had asked it what color oranges are?

Was it an online program? Console-type program? Windows program with a GUI? .sen

Bruno    155
hmm, but that AI program you are talking about didn''t gave you an inteligent answer.., it''s a pretty stupid answer.
A correct asnwer would be, "Which country are you refering too?".
With more than 300 countrys on the planet, why would you be talking about the us president ?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Not to mention all the clubs, and societies etc. that also have presidents!

Graylien    160
quote:
Original post by Bruno
hmm, but that AI program you are talking about didn''t gave you an inteligent answer.., it''s a pretty stupid answer.

You''re neglecting the fact that a good many people would have given the same answer (assuming that they knew that George Washington was the first US president).

The quality of the answer given by the program isn''t as easy to judge as you might think. I, for one, think it gave the most reasonable answer given the information it had and the obvious time constraints. The program did, then, do a good job of emulating its human creators...

Anyhow, let''s not hijack the thread. Mulligan, if you liked that program you might also enjoy My Little Tony.

Bruno    155
>You''re neglecting the fact that a good many people would have >given the same answer (assuming that they knew that George >Washington was the first US president).

I didn''t get you.., Why on earth would many people give that asnwer ? I think only Americans would asnwer that!

>I, for one, think it gave the most reasonable answer given the >information it had and the obvious time constraints..

Information and time constraints ? What are you talking about ?
If he gathers the information from search engines, it searches all over the world, not only in America, and even in American pages i believe there is history from another countrys.

Bruno

Kwizatz    1392
quote:

I didn't get you.., Why on earth would many people give that asnwer ? I think only Americans would asnwer that!

USA Americans, I am as american as anyone born anywhere from Canada to Argentina, it always bothers me the fact that US Citizens and the rest of the continents are always taught that USA==America when in fact USA is just part of America.

end rant.

Edit: Oh yeah to me the first president was Jose Maria Castro Madriz.

[edited by - kwizatz on June 7, 2002 11:24:51 AM]

Bruno    155
You are absolutely right, and i''m sorry
It really bother me that some US Americans talk as if their country is the only one in the world...., that''s why i think that program is stupid(judging by the answer
), probably coded by an US american that thinks this way..

Bruno

Kylotan    10011
Yes, it''s an assumption that may be incorrect, but that''s not the point. The point is whether the answer given is a good one, given the context. The program, if it does what is claimed, is not stupid at all. To be able to recognise that the ''president'' concept is semantically linked to to concept of a ''state'', to recognise that the ''state'' is not available in the current context, and then to prompt the user for that added information, is a lot of work.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

pan narrans    1284
Sounds a lot like AIML: Artificial Intelligence Modelling Language.

The most prolific example of this on the web is the Alice chat bot. AIML is a very simple script-like language, yet surprisingly effective.

Each bot comprises a number of knowledge modules, which are text based and very easy to create. How effective it is depends on how in-depth the knowledge module is. The one used here (that gave the president answer) was probably written by an american.
But the program is capable of tracking the topic of conversation, so for example, if the user had already been asking questions about the USA and then asked about the first president, the program would be able to assume that the USA was implied.

-pan narrans
-Always right! Except when I''m wrong.

Kwizatz    1392
quote:
Original post by Bruno
You are absolutely right, and i''m sorry
It really bother me that some US Americans talk as if their country is the only one in the world...., that''s why i think that program is stupid(judging by the answer
), probably coded by an US american that thinks this way..

Bruno

I dont think the program is stupid, my comment had little to do with the program, which I havent seen, but if it is like megahal, I think its clever.
I wouldnt say the programmer or anyone thinking USA==America is stupid, just misinformed or a victim of poor education that generates from the fact that USA by its size and location on the globe needs almost no resources from outside, so little to no diplomacy is needed.

jjmontes    158
You can''t find something similar in:

Start (Natural Languaje Question Answering System). This one is pretty good. You can type things like:

Show me a map of Spain or
What is a lux? or
Where is "some city here"? or
How many meters are in a kilometer?

I like it, though I first was very impressed and now I suspect that is not good as the well-teached that it is.

Real programers are not afraid from maths! (I am)
(from an Asfixia Member I think)
JJpRiVaTe (Private Zone)

Timkin    864
quote:
Original post by Kylotan
The program, if it does what is claimed, is not stupid at all. To be able to recognise that the ''president'' concept is semantically linked to to concept of a ''state''...

That''s the problem Kylotan... there''s no hint of context in the question, so no preference between "president as head of state" or "president as head of organisation" should be made by the program, unless it is biased. In which case, there are certainly more heads of organisations with the title president than heads of state with that title. Moreover, there are more non-US presidents than US-presidents. So, if this truly were an unbiased system, the odds of it selecting a US president as the answer to the question would be almost zero. Clearly the program is biased and I wouldn''t suggest that it is displaying intelligent behaviour.

Cheers,

Timkin

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Kwizatz:
Argentina - Argentinian
Norway - Norwegian
China - Chinese
Japan - Japanese
Great Britain - British
France - French
Spain - Spanish
Mexico - Mexican
Puerto Rico - Puerto Rican
Brazil - Brazilian
Saudi Arabia - Saudi
Iraq - Iraqi
Russia - Russian
Greece - Greek
Italy - Italian
Austria - Austrian
Australia - Australian

Exactly what would you like us to call ourselves?
USians?
USoAs?
Unitians?
Statians?
Ofans?

jjmontes    158
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Exactly what would you like us to call ourselves?
USians?
USoAs?
Unitians?
Statians?
Ofans?

Whatever you want but Americans, I think.

As the word America means another thing different to "United States of America", other americans could feel upset.

Here we call you ''united states citizens'', which I find ok. But, since USA is a union of states (a federation, isn''t it?), you could simply call you:

Ontarians, Californians, Miamis, Atlantis <- this one is really good

Real programers are not afraid from maths! (I am)
(from an Asfixia Member I think)
JJpRiVaTe (Private Zone)

Kylotan    10011
quote:
Original post by Timkin
Clearly the program is biased and I wouldn''t suggest that it is displaying intelligent behaviour.

I never said it was intelligent - just that it isn''t stupid What I meant was that it does incredibly well given that it has zero context.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

echeslack    122
In case you all hadn''t already seen it, this was on /. earlier, and is relevant to the topic. However, sitting around all day entering common sense inferrences might drive me crazy after 18 years. The people who do it are just crazy. There must be a better way

By the way, I tried out that MIT one, and when I typed in "Show me a picture of Jupiter" it did so, but when I typed in "Show me Jupiter" it spat out facts. Seems like there is still work to be done (I don''t think that the statement is that subtle), but still impressive.

ewen

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''d just like to straiten some things out, we call ourselfs Americans because the word America is in our name(United States of _America_). In the word ''Canada'' does the word America show up any any where? I think people would rather be identified by nation, not continent.

Thats like calling Russians Asians because they live on the continent of Asia. When I hear Asians i think of China, Japan, or people that appear to be of Oriental decent.

Think about that, smart guy

Timkin    864
quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
USA by its size and location on the globe needs almost no resources from outside, so little to no diplomacy is needed.

Well that''s just completely wrong. The US is a large importer of food products and manufactured goods. In fact, the only way they keep their local markets alive is by applying huge tariffs on imported goods and giving massive subsidies to primary producers who export. That''s how they keep much of the world in an economic down-turn: by flooding world food markets with subsidised meat and grain!

As for diplomacy, well, I won''t go into that lest we stir up a hornets nest!

Timkin