Ever heard of this?

Started by
37 comments, last by Mulligan 21 years, 10 months ago
I am a U.S. Citizen but the most funny thing is how the Americas gets its name.

America is from Amerigo Vespucci, which was a liar and never even touched Americas. Hmm ironic? or not?

I am a U.S. Citizen but the most funny thing is how the Americas gets its name.

America is from Amerigo Vespucci, which was a liar and never even touched Americas. Hmm ironic? or not?

didnt knew he was a liar, he was the one to draw the first maps of America, bording the continent, which was still believed to be India right?

Kwizatz you got me wrong., i wasn''t complaining about Costa rica diplomacy, i was complaining on USA diplomacy...

Bruno
jjmontes: Although I agree about the "Americans" thing, you''ve used a kinda poor example: Ontarians? Uh... I live in Ontario, but I call myself Canadian (seeing as Ontario''s in Canada ''n all).... But once in awhile for my own amusement I''ll call myself an American just to confuse people....
quote:Original post by Bruno
Kwizatz you got me wrong., i wasn't complaining about Costa rica diplomacy, i was complaining on USA diplomacy...

Bruno

You are right, didnt noticed until later, sorry, decided to leave it there cos I think it is unfair to treat the whole world as if everyone was a terrorist.
also you are right, the fact that the US are self suficient and dont have to care about the other countries, yet their goverment police the whole world is what has all the maniacs after them.

[edited by - kwizatz on June 10, 2002 5:49:03 PM]
Shh. Off-topic.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
quote:Original post by Kylotan
Shh. Off-topic.

Very, VERY off-topic guys. Let''s move this discussion to The Lounge, please....

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

Rightly or wrongly, the US is known as America. I would rather it be that way than have to use a clumsy politically correct alternative. While we''re off topic, I''ll mention one such word: "Native American." That means "someone born in America." By definition, anyone hailing from Ontario, Chicago, Montreal, Mexico City, or Buenos Aires, is a native American. The word shouldn''t be "antive;" it should be "aboriginal" (The Australians got it right).

Anyway, enough rantings: back on topic.

If you have AOL Instant messenger, you can IM ''SmarterChild,'' a chatterbot that can help you find specific information. You might want to experiment with it to see what you can get from it.
The bot could have searched an IP aware search engine, that would know what geographical region you are in based upon your IP address. Ergo the same search ''who was the first president'' would yield different results depend on where you searched from.

quote:Original post by Kwizatz
...the fact that the US are self suficient and dont have to care about the other countries...

sry for the OT, but this has come up twice now - the US depends heavily on labor resources from other portions of the world. China & Taiwan come to mind. For example, in a bizarre twist of economy; since it''s significantly cheaper to refine steel elsewhere in the world, there''s heavy tariffs on steel importations. Particularly non-standard steel has steep taxes. So much tax in fact, that it cost American companies $60k per year, per steel workers job preserved by the taxes. In theory, if we just let them buy the steel off-shore, we could pay the out-of-work steel workers (say) $50k in taxes on it to sit on their arses and save $10k a year instead. That''s not what happens, as the pride/emotional value of an American job was deemed worth more than the material benefits - and less suspectible to corruption.

Although the US could be self-suffient (the place is friggin'' huge, in land, resources, & population), I think it would take serious external factors to make us so. Say all the oil in the ME dries up, and Germany & Japan decide to stop selling stuff to us, and China & Taiwan sieze all exports.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spriit(xBNF)]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement