Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kajjait

Engine demo, please test for me

kajjait    130
Demo - 1.2 MB Please test this demo out for me, because my friend sent me this screenshot and i was wondering why the hell it happened on his machine and not mine, and another friend of mines machine [edited by - kajjait on June 6, 2002 6:34:35 PM] (sorry the link is down but what is happening is its not rendering the whole terrain,theres a black line going down the skybox) [edited by - kajjait on June 6, 2002 7:48:10 PM]

VisualB4BigD    122
It worked fine for me. It''s tanish terrain with a weird skybox image in the background. Everything is good here.

Celeron 374
VooDoo 3 2000 PCI
192 MB RAM

Horny Farmer (Jolly Rancher)

pplante    122
Works for me, looks just like the screen shot you posted in the second post. Nice use of Half-Life''s XEN skymaps hehe.

Sibbo2001    122
It works fine for me, but I get black lines on edges of the skybox. However, www.gametutorials.com supposedly has a tutorial that shows how to get rid of this (though I haven''t had time to check it out myself).

Oh, one question, why the hidden car ?

kajjait    130
pplante: first person that has tested it and noticed its from half-life :D

sibbo: yes i know, I fixed the blacklines now, and the hidden car is my temporary "space ship" untill i can find someone who will make me a nice one :D

yakuza    134
I get the corruption, here''s my screenshot:
blarg_screen.jpg

Radeon 8500, 6071 drivers.

---------------------------

I hate have to split some cost of something between three people when you are out to buy something and not being able to do the split correctly due to our inferior base-10 system. -- felonius

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Try turning off Backface culling [BFC] and see if that solves the problem for the Radeon 8500. (default should be on)

If it does, then maybe the Verticies aren''t being specified in the right order for that hardware (or any hardware for that matter, maybe BFC is off on other cards). (Very possible if this is a procedural terrain).

This would also depend if you are rendering this on a Triangle strip. Rendering on a Triangle strip automatically switches the vertice order from CW to CCW for every triangle. In that patch, the order may be off on about 30 triangles at different intervals through out the strip. Like a broken christmas tree light, only some of the broken ones will line the the list back up correctly.

These are merely ideas to help you figure this out.

kajjait    130
i think it may be because im using triangle strips so i uploaded a new exe that uses quad strips.. anyone with a radeon 8500 please download the 1.2 mb demo and the patch here

NTense    102
Engine Demo worked great for me, running at 32bit 1028x768.

PII 500
128 MB
Diamond Viper 550 w/ 16MB

"Why must we always come up with incredibly philosophic signatures?"

yakuza    134
Yup, works good for me now on my 8500, and the black lines on the skybox are gone too. Although I think you need to rotate your top and bottom quads of the skybox, they don''t line up right with the other textures...

I hate have to split some cost of something between three people when you are out to buy something and not being able to do the split correctly due to our inferior base-10 system. -- felonius

yakuza    134
That does look much nicer.

guppy    330
Nice one!

You may be aware of this but still - there is no collsion detection with the map bounds.

Any ways what is it for? an side way scroller shoot 'em up style game turned 3d? (would be cool!! )

/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english
|Visit me
\Take my advice - I don''t use it...

[edited by - guppy on June 9, 2002 8:28:03 AM]

Rainmaker    122
Looks to me like the sand texture is half-life''s too. I could tell the instant I saw the screenies... I am such a junkeh! >D

I cant wait for natural selection

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by kajjait
ahhhh it wasnt the triangle strip messing it up, it was the backface culling

This is the same AP that suggested the BFC and the triangle strips as being the problem.

I would like you to clear this up. Did you simply turn off back face culling and the engine render fine?

If so, your engine may still have a quirk in it, you just solved it by making it slower. I don''t mean to pry, but I believe that you are shooting for quality here.

You might be able to tell if the strips are still messed up by doing this...Turn backface culling back on, and specify CCW rendering order to begin with. Triangle strips flip this setting back and forth. This should create a totally different set of patches on the Radeon 8500. If it does then your strips are out of alignment. If Not, then Ask the 8500 users to upgrade there drivers, or contact ATI.

yakuza    134
I''d be willing to test on my 8500.

I tested it on mine, and everything worked fine, after I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers. The standard microsoft drivers that came with windows XP don''t support multitexturing.

System......

Windows XP
Pentium III, 500mhz
256MB ram
nvidia tnt2

neoztar    144
Worked fine on my system:

ATI Radeon 8500
AMD Athlon 750mhz
384MB SDRAM

Is the car supposed to rotate with the camera? On my system, it didn''t...

Oh, and you should add some collision...

Roquqkie    100
Does your friend from Denmark have a website?
Im from Denmark myself, I want to ask him if he want''s to work together on a project...

-Roq-