• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynamic Texture filtering

This topic is 5708 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What i am trying to accomplish is what all games are about: increase frames per second and quality. My idea was is a type of LOD enhancement that deminishes texture quality on the polys in my scene that are small, or at a large angle (i.e. big, put slanted, like looking down a wall). Since i''m already doing a dotproduct for each poly (back face culling) i thought i could use the result (cosine angle) to decide if the poly should reduce its complexity becuase its gonna be small on screen. I got some formulas and algorythms for deciding detail, but there is one problem. How do i dynamically decide how to render a texture? What i mean is how can i make an already loaded texture be GL_LINEAR in one frame and GL_NEAREST in the next (thats the idea). I only know how to make texture objects and just use those, setting the filter at initialization. How do i dynamically change the filter for a texture, it certainly seems like its possible. Do you create a new texutre object with the settings, or will this create a new copy of the texture in memory? I don''t know, so i need all the help i can get. all replies appreciated

Advertisement
Believe it or not, GL_NEAREST is slower than GL_LINEAR. The only exception is software rendering.

• Advertisement