about NeHe tutorials

Started by
6 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 10 months ago
I just wanted to say I'v been flying back and forth with VC and NeHe and I feel like I know OpenGL like the inside of my palm. OpenGL is so easy I think every one should use it. Its kinda slow on my PC tho. I have no hardware support, just an old PCI video card. Well, on to the Blending tutorial and so on and so forth. Sakky gives NeHe [edited by - Sakky on June 6, 2002 12:48:29 AM]
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Advertisement
Oh yeah... I totally agree... before NeHe I used to use directx..... (no.. stop throwing stones... it wasnt my fault! they made me do it.................).. and I would NEVER go back (although directshow is still my preference for media playback. I dont like having other peoples dll's and things in my programs (hence I dont use fmod, openal, or any of that)

Eventually you outgrow nehe, but it will always be my opengl home away from home

Nehe, a 5 star source for opengl programmers.

[edited by - Cobra on June 7, 2002 4:17:22 PM]
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Yeah, OpenGL is just bad ass. Why any one would want yo use Direct3D over it is beyond me. I''v tried to find tutorials and understand Direct3D. I''v found references and tutorials writen by all sorts of people about Direct3D. I just don''t like it that much. I thinks its sort of stupid. But I still liked the way DirectDraw used surfaces and stuff. I want to do something likte that in openGL. Witch I have found a tutorial on GameDev about somthing like this, I think.

The only thang I liked about Direct3D was the 3D file extension. I thought that X is a cool file extension, so it caught my intrest. I would like to know if OpenGL has its own 3D OpenGL-type file.
quote:Original post by sakky
Why any one would want yo use Direct3D over it is beyond me.

Let's not discuss why D3D is better than GL, shall we?
quote:
The only thang I liked about Direct3D was the 3D file extension. I thought that X is a cool file extension, so it caught my intrest. I would like to know if OpenGL has its own 3D OpenGL-type file.

No, but you can use .x files (and D3DX math routines, btw) in OpenGL programs if you write .x loader.

[edited by - IndirectX on June 7, 2002 10:00:26 PM]
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
quote:
...I know OpenGL like the inside of my palm

Umm, I don''t have a dirty mind or anything, but isn''t the saying "Like the back of my hand". Although most people have "Known" the palm more often than the back...

And as for DirectX, technically, it is ahead of OpenGL because of the fact that OpenGl standards have to be passed by a board. A board which Microsoft is on. Microsoft DirectX is not "Open", so it can implement things faster. Take programmable Vertex and pixel shaders for example. I believe John is still writing those in assembler and retargeting the "pixel programs" for the GPU manually. I could be wrong, I don''t keep up that much on OpenGL, DirectX suitas all of my needs, not just graphics.
Ow well, I think Direct3D is too complex and OpenGL is much nicer to me. I''m not up to writing a bunch of code to get a few thangs working.
I dont think directX is really that more complex..one you figure out all the crazy long ass function names and the basic setup ok..its not bad.

I still think OpenGL is cooler/better/easier though..plus I like it because its portable.
I like OpenGL mainly because its easy to use and it look great. Its faster to set up and not a complex as Direct3D is, I think. I never used Direct3D yet. When I tried to find tutorials or info on it, all I found was a bunch of shit. The people go way off and don''t explain any thang right. I already had a little exerpience in OGL so I used it. If I cold find something that will teach my Direct3D decently, then I''ll use it. Not some jack-ass tutorial that asumes way to much and thinks that his way is the best way to do thangs. I like NeHe stile tutorials. I can''t find any good tutorials on D3D so I''ll buy a book. I don''t have hardware support so I can''t use DX8, so basicly fuck it unti lI get a new computer. Because opengl is the only thang that is running ok in on my pc right now. When I get money I''ll buy 3 or 4 books on d3d and get a new pc with AGP PRO and a good video card. The most hardest part I''m having right now is learning new frame work. I like to take thangs slow, but when I get on a role I want what I want NOW and FAST. Witch is why I ran throught almost all of NeHes tutorials already. Some I didn''t use tho.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement