OGL game programming book

Started by
13 comments, last by fatherjohn666 21 years, 10 months ago
Just want to say I have the biggest smile on my face now, here in aus, books ...good books that is....are hard to come by. I ordered my last book (windows game programming for dummies) from amazon because you just cant get it here. We got a borders store now in the city here in adelaide, which is kind of linked in with amazon. Cant wait to get home, start reading and cut sick!!! Anyones comments on the book? negative or positive CONSTRUCTIVE critisicm is welcome! man I am chuffed.... [edited by - fatherjohn666 on June 7, 2002 1:14:58 AM]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://on.to/oni
Advertisement
Im from Adelaide also how much was that book and where is this book shop?
sick man! contact me on icq!, we should collaborate ideas!

I had to order it from BORDERS, Rundle mall, near the balls, near harris scarf, near regent arcade, HUUUUGE computer section.

Has the other killer book - TIPS AND TRICKS OF THE WINDOWS PROGRAMMING GURUS....!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://on.to/oni
quote:Original post by fatherjohn666
Anyones comments on the book? negative or positive CONSTRUCTIVE critisicm is welcome!
I think it''s pretty good...

Dave "Myopic Rhino" Astle
Executive Producer and COO, GameDev.net
Game Programmer, Avalanche Software
Author, OpenGL Game Programming

"Leaking and bleeding... that''s what happens when you don''t relax"
LOL Dave, I bet you think it''s good. Anyway, I got the book a long time ago, and I think it is one of the best books out there now.
It''s fantastic, but don''t just listen to me and the author (), check the reviews out:
Amazon (includes two of my reviews)
GameDev''s own book review section

Enjoy!

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Yes, generally it's good book, but some things should be done better.

I can't say anything else yet, 'cause I'm only at the Chapter7 at the moment.
Ok, I'm going to comment each Chapter which I read till now:

Chapter1 - VERY GOOD! It couldn't be done better!

Chapter2 - Again, superior! Nothing else to say...

Chapter3 - Hm, this could be done better. Math sohuld be explained more in detail (I'm 14 so I had little problems understanding all math - but matrices are easy ).
It would be better that explanation from Chapter3 would be in appropriate Chapter, not all in one. So the theory about texturing from Chapter3 should be in Chapter8 etc.

Chapter4 - Above average. But I would recommend newbies to read NeHe tutorials (2., 3., 4.) before reading this Chapter.

Chapter5 - Again, very good. Again, nothing to say...

Chapter6 - Hm, there are some mistakes and errors at the lighting explanation. But lighting itself is explained well, just order of explanation is not good.
Blending should be explained more in detail.
But overall, this Chapter is still pretty good.

Chapter7 - I'm still reading it

[edited by - Wingman on June 9, 2002 5:58:00 AM]
It''s great except it spends too much time on non opengl-related stuff like the win32 api, directX audio, md2 model format etc...

actually I guess that can be good, depends how you see it, what it does do is show you how to make a first person shooter from beginning to end (kinda)
In Construction : http://www.gdev.org
@Dave
Whoa! Its the freakin'' author! I have that book! (I''m new to GameDev.com, and usually I use 3D engines for 3D apps, just to let you know who I am )

lol, Anyways: How did the chapter Zip files that came with the book get messed up? I had to download them all. Was this the manufacturer''s fault?
It was their fault. We provided all of the source code to them, but somehow, it didn''t make it to the CD.

Dave "Myopic Rhino" Astle
Executive Producer and COO, GameDev.net
Game Programmer, Avalanche Software
Author, OpenGL Game Programming

"Leaking and bleeding... that''s what happens when you don''t relax"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement