Why the zelda craze?

Started by
2 comments, last by Order over Chaos 21 years, 10 months ago
This is not directed at anyone specific or at any specific post, I was just wondering why so many people spend so much time making illegal clones of already made games. I mean its not that hard to come up with, or find someone with an authentic story. Maybe it''s just me, but whenever I hear someone is making a zelda game, or a star wars game, or a star trek game, or a doom game, I just roll my eyes
Advertisement
Some people just want to program (i.e. for learning purposes) and not have to bother with plotting, character creation, artwork, etc.

Some might be doing it because of the instant interest they will get from fans of the original game.

But I hope that many do it because of their love of the original game and a desire to be involved with, and expand the game universe and its characters.

-pan narrans
-Always right! Except when I''m wrong.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
face it, the old games were not graphical intense and had some limitations, but they were fun. with the power of the pc, amature developers can recreate the expierence with better graphics and sound. maybe even some gameplay enhancments or new levels. there were even projects in which one group was using an emulator to handle the game logic, and modified the "game hardware" by changing how things were drawn. for instance, instead of using s very simple 48x32 sprite, they used a high resolution true color image with more frames of animation then the original. particle effects were added, as well as other graphical and sound enhancments. this is not what you speak ofm but shows the lengths hardcore gamers will go to recreate their favorite game so that newer generations of gamers who are spoiled by the great graphics of todays games will enjoy them as much as the original genreation did playing the original.

also many developers cant get togethr a team in which they have an artist, sound engineer, story writer, months or years to develop, and the money to make it happen. creating a game is a lot of work, and you cant learn to create something that has never been done before. instead you learn how to make games by mimicing other games. eventually you understand what makes a game, and can go on to create your own game that is enjoyable.

clones are not illegal. using artwork, trademarked names, etc is. realize that console style games are not readily avaible for the pc. have you even played oldschool games on the original platform (ie not throgh emulation)? if not, yoru wont ever understand what 2d gaming is all about, and why the old school games are cloned.

Order over chaos, show me one of your "original" games that you developed.
also please, name some original games that you like?
quote:Original post by Order over Chaos
This is not directed at anyone specific or at any specific post, I was just wondering why so many people spend so much time making illegal clones of already made games. I mean its not that hard to come up with, or find someone with an authentic story. Maybe it''s just me, but whenever I hear someone is making a zelda game, or a star wars game, or a star trek game, or a doom game, I just roll my eyes

Ever heard of this company called Hasbro? Give them a call, they might want to hire you.

quote:Original post by Order over Chaos
or a doom game, I just roll my eyes

Obviously nobody should make clones of doom, lets take every FPS created by someone other than id off the shelves!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement