• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waverider

Making a game fun via style?

This topic is 5861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to get your opinions on something. I have an idea for a game that is largely controlled from a radar screen. Assuming for the moment that this is the ONLY way to control the game (military RTS), how much of a difference in your opinion would it make in the fun factor to have a radar screen that is purely informational versus a radar screen that shows a lot of visual feedback? By visual feedback I mean: * When enemies come into view, they flash with beeps and little unreadable analytical statistics scroll beneath them * When craft take damage they flash * When craft are in death throes they pulse and fade into nothing * Orientation of craft are represented by simplistic icons (jets are triangles, tanks are rectangles with turrets that show orientations of both base and turret, missiles are yellow dots, etc.) A radar without visual feedback wouldn't have all the pretty bells and whistles. In my mind, a radar screen with a lot of feedback would be cool to operate, but I don't know if the fun would run itself out against the tedium of controlling everything from the radar. (In essence, does eye candy diffuse the tedium?) Thanks for any insight. Sorry I can't provide any more information about the nature of the game, yet. And I understand if you can't give detailed opinions without knowing the game's design. [edited by - Waverider on June 7, 2002 1:19:14 PM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!