Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocket05

Chicken or the Egg?

here''s somethen ive been tossing around in my head the past few weeks... is it better to write an engine before making a game, so that you know better how engines work, how to maintain/change/improve them, or is it better to use a premade engine to make a game so you know how a game works with an engine? the reason i named the topic "Chicken or Egg?" is because it reminds me of that question, which came first, the chicken or the egg. so heres my question, what SHOULD come first, the engine or the game and why? i haven''t been able to make a decision and i keep waivering back and forth between them.

I think you should first design the game. After you have finished designing the game, then you should know what you need to implement it. That would be the point where you either look for an existing engine that supports the functionality you need, or create one yourself.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would say the game should come first. While you develop the game, try to make as much of the code modular and reusable as possible. Then when you''ve finished, identify the ''engine'' in your code and separate it from the game specific code. In theory you''ll be able to use it again for other games (you may be limited to particular types of games of course).