Should I learn Visual Basic?

Started by
51 comments, last by Zeraan 21 years, 9 months ago
Good grief, I can't believe these flame wars never die.

Listen carefully kiddies: use whatever language you want to use. They're all good in their own ways. VB is quite capable of doing quality games, as long as you know its limitations. Anyone that says otherwise is a biased idiot and should be ignored. Also, most of them have probably never completed a game anyway, so how good is their advice? Learning VB's limitations is the tricky part. Using DirectX with VB you can produce virtually any 2D game you want and it will run very well on a mid-range system today. 3D games are also quite possible, although you won't produce the next Quake/Half-Life/UT/etc. If you use an engine that is built to be used with VB you'll still go far though. At least as far as some of the crappy 3D stuff that is being released.

That said, if you already know C++ and want to do game programming professionaly, stick with C++. If you want to use VB on the side for another perspective as a hobby, go for it. There's nothing stopping you. Your development cycle will be much quicker after you learn the language, so you won't get as frustrated as you would if you spent the time doing C++. That's VB main strength - Rapid Application Development. Start here - http://www.directx4vb.com/ and here - http://rookscape.com/vbgaming/

Good luck.

Breakaway Games

[edited by - Machaira on June 24, 2002 10:19:15 PM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
Just to clear something up for some people, you cannot say "Making something in VB takes me 1 hour, while it would take so much longer in C++." First of all VB is not not on the same level as c++. You can compare BASIC to C++. A better comparison is VB to C++ Builder. I can code something in Builder just as fast or faster than I can in VB. I do know both languages quite well. I happen to feel that Builder is a great tool and it is a shame that not as many people know about it. I will say that VB is much better for designing apps that use databases, at least that is what I have found.
Well,

It ofcourse depends on WHAT TYPE OF GAME you wanna make

I would say that if you want to make a pacman or a tetris: go ahead, use VB. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if you want to make Quake V, hmmmm. I would say: use C++ son, now doubt about that!

I''ve read all the posts. And there are a lot of remarks about the structure of the language VB. I think its a matter of personal taste. I know a fellow who is a real die hard VB programmer. I''ve seen him making things(no 3D stuff, just business stuff) a lot of C++ programmers CANT make. Why? Because he knows how to get the maximum out of the language(the tool). He really likes VB. If I would give him C++, he couldnt make a ''hello world'' program. Its just a personal taste, and wich tool is the best for the job!

3D graphics, its all fake
3D graphics, its all fake ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement