Should I learn Visual Basic?

Started by
51 comments, last by Zeraan 21 years, 10 months ago
I know enough C++ to make games. But I see some people using Visual Basic in this (or at least refer to them) and I was wondering if I should learn it or not? Also I see people making fun of it. Also add reason why you made your suggestion. I don''t want this to become a flame war. If I learn Visual Basic, will it affect my C++ programming style? Thanks in advance ----------------------------- To debug, or not to debug, that is the question. Whether ''tis nobler in the computer to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous errors, or to take C++ reference books against a sea of bugs, and by opposing, debug them.
Advertisement
VB might give you ideas of how to structure things in C++, who knows. Eventually you''ll find a style that works well for you, and as long as it''s understandable, what''s the harm?

VB is slow for games, though. And if your primary focus will be on making games, you''ll be happier with the results C++ brings you.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
First let me mention that I know both C++ and Visual Basic.

In my opinion Visual Basic is useful to get started fast with game programming. It is easy to learn and can get you far. But there is no doubt that C++ will get you further, so if you already know C++ well you shouldn''t bother learning Visual Basic.
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
IMO, Visual Basic is not a good language to learn programming. It teaches you some bad habits that make it harder to learn C++ or other low level (I mean lower than VB) languages later on. VB is really nice for making GUIs quickly and getting a little app up and running, but yes it may affect your programming style if you are not real solid yet. Master C++, you will be much better off. Most companies would rather hire a C++ programmer and teach them Visual Basic than hire someone who only knows VB.
I began programming C++ and I then also began working with Visual Basic and I didn''t notice a change in the style I program in. Besides, VB has it''s place in making apps very very rapidly.

More knowledge is never bad is it? The only thing that you may not like is the extra money you have to spend to get a VB compiler since there are no free ones like there are for other languages.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
I haven''t done much with Visual Basic but IMO it''s not worth learning. If you want to go the Visual route Borland Builder and Delphi are two very good products. Builder uses a modified version of the C++ language but still works everything regular C does (DirectX, OpenGL, ect.). Delphi uses object Pascal which (like 90% of the other languages out there) is damn near C++.

Still though, Visual Basic isn''t much of a game language. Most people learn it for business type stuff. If your doing games, C++ is about as good as you get.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Learning another programming language (or at least becomming familiar with it) is always a good thing. It gives you a broader understanding of the industry (for lack of a better word), and it could help make you more marketable for employment. Obviously one can't master all programming languages, but becoming proficient in more than one is quite feasable and very common. The more tools you have at your disposal the better.

[edited by - noparity on June 7, 2002 7:47:31 PM]
Visual Basic is a brain-dead language, as Microsoft decided to preserve enough of the nonsense in BASIC. Visual Basic .NET is a step in the right direction, but is nowhere near being a truly "good language."

If you want something "easy", try Delphi or C# (if you have no issues with .NET). Otherwise, stick with C or C++.
Well, I definatly prefer VB over C/C++, especially for Windows programming. If you hate doing DirectX in C like me, try it in VB... you don''t have to mess with the Windows stuff and can focus more on the creative side of the programming.
I''m not even going to read the other posts...

I SAY FORGET IT!!! C++ is basically all you''ll need to make an excellente game. Now that you know C++ it''s time you learn how to program and then you can learn how to make a game. If I had a dime for every person who convinced themselves that to make games all they needed to do was read a book and do some expample code then Bill Gates would be my gardner...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement