Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corvus

Installing SDK on Win2000

Corvus    122
Does anyone had any problems with installing the DirectX 8.1 SDK on win2000 professional? I heard stories about machines that failed to boot after the installation was finished, and other things like that. Are there any things I should do before installing the SDK to avoid any problems? Currently I have the 8.0 runtime installed, and Visual Studio.NET. Thanx. +++ Corvus +++

S1CA    1418
1. Win2k+DirectX SDK works perfectly on both my home and work machines, plus about 5 other machines all with various configurations in the office win Win2k.

2. A version of DirectX is installed when you install Win2k anyway! - all the SDK contains over the base DirectX install is debug DLLs, headers and libraries and samples programs.

3. Most of the DirectX team at Microsoft apparently use Windows 2000.

Just make sure your using an account with administrator privileges or things could go wrong that way, and that you''re using a bonafide version of DirectX (i.e. downloaded from an MS site or from an offical source, not one of the cut down versions).

Also make sure your drivers are up to date for motherboard and graphics hardware, and that any CPU packs have been installed or you might not get proper acceleration. Plus you should make sure you have Win2k service pack 2 installed - amongst other things it fixes some D3D+AGP issues.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

core    106
I had (have) problems with the SDK''s installer failing. I just copied the headers, libs, etc to their appropriate locations. It works.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein