Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdrewes

Texture mapping for .3ds w/o 3d studio

Hi, I have a problem that involves having a .3ds loader, but not having access to 3d studio max. I use Blender to model my objects and use crossroads to convert from (.dxf or .wrl) to .3ds. By definition this means I my models are non-textured. Is there any freeware or shareware program out there that allows you load a 3ds file, apply textures (doesn''t matter how), and save to .3ds with the textures intact? I chose to write a loader for .3ds because the format supports textured and animated models like .dxf and .obj don''t, and because I will have 3d studio max someday. Right now I just need to load .3ds models, with textures...but don''t have any way to texture .3ds models. Any ideas?

I was able to find a solution- which someone else might also find helpfull. It uses UV mapping, which might not be the best solution for everything so I''ll probably end up downloading Anim8or as well. Anyway, I used this program called LithUnwrap.. the freeware version is 1.2 - search for lithunwrap.zip. It can import a .3ds, and by "unwrapping" the mesh, creates a bitmap template that you can draw on in photoshop or wherever. The .3ds also gets saved to include the information for your UV map, so you only have to put the .bmp in the same directory as the .3ds and your object is mapped.

I was in the prosses in writting a 3ds loader as well when I came across the Audodesk tool kit that had a 3ds lib and 3ds header file describing all the functions and formats. A copy of the library is also located on the CD that came with the Game programmin Gems book in the chapter where they talk about skined meshes. This 3ds library allows you to load "everthing from lights, textures, to meshes.

Hope this helps!