CASH!!

Started by
6 comments, last by d000hg 21 years, 10 months ago
How much would you guys think the following game would be worth: It''s a simple 3D racing game similar in style to super mario kart. Multiplayer and split screen + able to use multiple monitors if available. Possibly quite pretty (shadows and bump maps) but designed more for lower specced machines and the emphasis on fast exciting gameplay, weapons and bonuses but still an element of skill required to win. This is something I''m just starting on and think will take approx 3-4 months to complete. I''ll be writing all myself apart from probably getting help on textures and 3d models. I just wondered what you think I should price it at. Since it''ll likely be available as a download, I can''t proice it at £30 like ''real'' games but can''t decide what the highest boundary is before the impulse buy factor is squashed. I thought £5 - £10 but do you reckon a fun split-screen game with lots of levels could be worth nearer £20? The only thing I''m woried about is that you''ll need NOCHEX/paypal to buy it, and whether that''ll turn lots of people off? Thanks for any input guys
Advertisement
Well, let''s face it, many people won''t buy it. However, if it''s a good game that is FUN & not buggy (etc.) you might be able to sell a few copies. I''d recommend a very low price, about $5 (maybe a bit higher if it''s advanced). I speak from what I think about this. Paypal is great for this.
not alot, since there are many games like this available for download for free.

anyways, what does thiis have to do with programming? wouldnt it be better off in the business of game devolpment?
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
I would suggest you make it as cheap as you possibly can. This obviously means you will get more purchases than with a high cost. Then if the game is any good people will look forward to your next project at which point, you could perhaps increase the price a little (because you already have a reasonable customer base that believes in you).

Now I hear you thinking what the repurcussions would be if very few people bought it? Well, if it proved unpopular, it was cack. You've lost some money but taught yourself all about what makes a cack game.

It's a win-win situation.

hehe.

[edited by - m_wherrett on June 8, 2002 8:11:52 PM]
If it''s fun you can probably make more by releasing it as shareware then if you simply tried to sell it.
Of course.. you could always wait those "3-4 months" and finish the game before worrying about such things..
Yeah I know, just wondering about all aspects of the game. Cos how much I think I can get does have SOME impact on what''s in the game e.g whether I make 10 levels or 50, and how many options like different cars etc there are...

Has anyone here got experience in selling a complete game and if so do you have a link - I''d like to know what I''m competing against!
I just wanted to write again that I cannot believe how cheap you all sell your work believing to get enough additional copies to make it worth the cheaper price. But then again I remembered that I (and the guys from Spiderweb Software) seem to be standing alone with this opinion. So I don't mention it all again. :D

-----------

Niels Bauer Software Design

Creators of Smugglers 2, TV Manager and Coffee-break: Star Trader

[edited by - Jester101 on June 10, 2002 3:10:30 PM]

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement