Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dssephiroth

I desperately need help please read

dssephiroth    122
Ok Im just gettting into my one game development, I already got the idea setup and now it''s just about developing it. I want to make a online multiplayer game. So far I only have Microsoft visual c++ 6.0 and dont even know how to use it. I want the game to be 3-d cell shading also im totally lost please teach me anybody. I''ve been hearing about directx and all these other stuff and dont now what to do. I want to make it a windows application (dos sucks) and need to make a login screen I''m pathetic aren''t I? I''m just a lost blind sheep looking for a shepard. PLEASE HELP ME

invective    118
baby steps.
you have to learn to crawl before you can walk.
you have to learn to walk before you can run.

1)Start by learning C++.
Write simple console games like black jack.
2)Move onto a simple Windows application
Rewrite your simple games in an event driven window.
3)Dive into DirectX or OpenGL
Write a simple game with 2D graphics (i.e. tetris)
4)Start on simple 3d programming...

you get the idea.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by dssephiroth

I want to make it a windows application (dos sucks)

...You need to learn basic programming first, API is very complicated if you dont even know about the different data types.. and as far as a 3d game goes.. plan on learning for a few years.. start small and work your way big

Arkainium    199
What''s cell shading?

By the way, Thinking in C++ is a great book, and it''s free. But you should probably find some tutorials to read first. Try searching google. Once you start to grasp the concepts, download Thinking in C++ at http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html . I really like this book because it introduces object oriented programming and helpful objects early on.

Anyway, good luck.

weasalmongler    205
Cell shading is that strange effect that makes 3D graphics look like cartoons. It is quite an impressive effect but I feel that it is still a tad to difficult for me to a have a look at yet :D.

I have been programming for 2 years, and I am now into making pretty complicated 3D games (I learn pretty fast). It is all self taught but I spent a lot of time learning the language syntax and about things like pointers and classes, long before I tried to delve into the complex world of game programming. So basically I am saying what everyone else said... start little and work your way up.

There is a LOT of information on the internet about different aspects of programming. I do, however, recommend getting a good book on programming with tutorials and stuff because I found that books are the best way to start learning. Once you get onto more complicated specific stuff, you can use the net (more specifically Google) to help you.

It''ll be a long time before you can make anything with cell shaded graphics though, sorry.

- Weasalmongler

Tracy    122
dssephiroth-Start by learning ANCI C/C++. I''ve been programming a long time now and just now figured out how to do the 2D tile collision stuff. Like invective said "baby steps".

"A man can''t just sit around." ''Lawn Chair'' Larry Walters (1982)

invective    118
quote:
Original post by dssephiroth
invective thanks but can you tell me what programs I need and send tutorials if you have any to dssephiroth@yahoo.com

Programming is a difficult task. Cell shading would be a project for a 3rd year Computer Science student at most univeristies. That is not to discourage you or to tell you its impossible, but rather to point out that you have a lot of work to do and time to put in before you are going to get there. Every step builds on the one than comes before it. You need to start at the beginning and work your way up. Start by learning C++. C++ has NO graphics capability, so you will only be able to write text programs. Once you have mastered the language you will be ready for the next step. Work on learning C++. When you are done, come back and ask for the next step, which is either data structures or the Win32 API, depending on who you ask.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
They are right. You can''t learn that stuff for a while. Start learning a language first like c++. You can try:
www.cprogramming.com and take the the c++ tutorial there
www.gametutorials.com and take the C++ tutorial there
or if your willing to spend some money you can try:
www.gameinstitute.com and take the introduction to c++ class there
or buy a good book. Search around for good books and look at reviews and stuff.Have you read this thread?
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=98434