I desperately need help please read

Started by
12 comments, last by dssephiroth 21 years, 10 months ago
Cell shading is that strange effect that makes 3D graphics look like cartoons. It is quite an impressive effect but I feel that it is still a tad to difficult for me to a have a look at yet :D.

I have been programming for 2 years, and I am now into making pretty complicated 3D games (I learn pretty fast). It is all self taught but I spent a lot of time learning the language syntax and about things like pointers and classes, long before I tried to delve into the complex world of game programming. So basically I am saying what everyone else said... start little and work your way up.

There is a LOT of information on the internet about different aspects of programming. I do, however, recommend getting a good book on programming with tutorials and stuff because I found that books are the best way to start learning. Once you get onto more complicated specific stuff, you can use the net (more specifically Google) to help you.

It''ll be a long time before you can make anything with cell shaded graphics though, sorry.

- Weasalmongler
Advertisement
dssephiroth-Start by learning ANCI C/C++. I''ve been programming a long time now and just now figured out how to do the 2D tile collision stuff. Like invective said "baby steps".

"A man can''t just sit around." ''Lawn Chair'' Larry Walters (1982)
"A man can't just sit around." 'Lawn Chair' Larry Walters (1982)
quote:Original post by dssephiroth
invective thanks but can you tell me what programs I need and send tutorials if you have any to dssephiroth@yahoo.com

Programming is a difficult task. Cell shading would be a project for a 3rd year Computer Science student at most univeristies. That is not to discourage you or to tell you its impossible, but rather to point out that you have a lot of work to do and time to put in before you are going to get there. Every step builds on the one than comes before it. You need to start at the beginning and work your way up. Start by learning C++. C++ has NO graphics capability, so you will only be able to write text programs. Once you have mastered the language you will be ready for the next step. Work on learning C++. When you are done, come back and ask for the next step, which is either data structures or the Win32 API, depending on who you ask.
They are right. You can''t learn that stuff for a while. Start learning a language first like c++. You can try:
www.cprogramming.com and take the the c++ tutorial there
www.gametutorials.com and take the C++ tutorial there
or if your willing to spend some money you can try:
www.gameinstitute.com and take the introduction to c++ class there
or buy a good book. Search around for good books and look at reviews and stuff.Have you read this thread?
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=98434

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement