• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Librairies, dlls and such

This topic is 5738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am writing a small game engine. Last time I did this I used to put all sub-systems in their own .h and .cpp files in the main project. What I would want to do is put each sub-systems in their own independent projects that can be re-used. The problem is when I do this, the compiler needs a main or winmain function and all the trimmings. I know that some possible way around this problem are librairies ( .lib ) and .dll but apart from their name I don''t know much about them. Is there something else ? Which one is better ? Are they complicated to make once you have your code ? WHO DO THEY THINK THEY''RE FOOLING : YOU ?

Advertisement
For a small game engine written entirely by you, dlls are not the answer to code reuse. Just keep your common functionality in .h/.cpp files. You can create a .lib, but even that is not really necessary.

I myself even on larger projects still use .h and their .cpp companions in my programs. I can just reuse the .h and .cpp files for various programs and have the easily modifiable and accessible.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

• Advertisement