From 3D model to usable art

Started by
2 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 10 months ago
I''m using TrueSpace 4.3 to create the art for my game. My problem is rendering the animation of something and getting it into a format that my 2D sprite based game can use. What I''m doing now is each frame of animation is rendered to a seperate image file, like Frame01.bmp, frame02.bmp, frame03.bmp, and so on. Then I get into GIMP and take each image, shrink it, and put it onto a grid. All this takes LOADS of time, and is so tedius and it''s boring me to tears! I''m a programmer, not an artist, damn it! Anyhow, is there an easier way to get my animations into the format I''m eventually going to use, or do I have to hand do everything, makeing sure everything is perfectly aligned and the right size and all that stuff?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Well, assuming that the hard part is the GIMP and beyond part, I would suggest the following procedure:

1. Determine a custom or non-custon file spec for the animation format you want.
2. Write a simple program that reads in all of the bitmaps (you can do this by using the argc and argv program arguments and block dragging all of the files into the program executable).
3. Have this program shrink all of the bitmaps to the size you want.
4. Have the program put all of the images in the final format you want and save the output.
5. Voila! All done.

It will be a little work, but it shouldn''t be too hard to something like this.
search for a program called ''Tyler''
as far as shrinking, cant you just render to a smaller size?

i had a similar problem compositing images. if you want a program to put multiple files together in rows, get the freeware program called "automask":

http://www.nukeware.com/tutorial/vb/tut001/tut001.htm

make sure you turn off "draw borders" and also select "just images in one" if oyu dont want to mess with alphas. there seems to be a bug though, in that i cant get it to read files unless they are in root directories. still saves me time though.

regarding a previous reply, i dont think that tyler proggie is what you are looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement