Creating a perfect square...

Started by
15 comments, last by Name-ing-Way 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Name-ing-Way
The graphics mode is VGAMED (640x350, 16 colors)

That's your problenm right there. 640x480 resolutions have square pixels. It stands to reason that 640x350 resolutions then could not have square pixels.

350 / 480 = .7291666
Your square should be rendered as a box where its width is equal to its width and its height is equal to its width * .7291666.

[edited by - bishop_pass on June 10, 2002 2:07:41 PM]
Advertisement
Magmai, 320x240 is square too (it''s linear with 640x480).

Anyway, if the problem is that pixels on the sides of the screen are longer, it is due to the Pincushion and Trapezoid controls of the monitor. These can strech the image at the sides.

I think there can not be any other posibility. The aspect ratio could be also a problem but it would never make some pixels longer than others.

In my opinion, bother only about the aspect ratio, and let the people touch their monitor controls if they think they have to.
-=[ J ]=-I always forget to change the tagline.
OK, my brain hurts whenever I think about this stuff, but...
Most screen resolutions are 4:3, but most monitors are 4:3 as well, so...shouldn''t there be no problem here?
The pixels not being square has nothing to do with it, because I already compensated for that. (Using the aspect ratio).
how big is your board? Is each square like 10x10 or 1x1? If it is a small number rounding errors would make a difference. Also while you are compensating for aspect ratio maybe that is causing a rounding error. If you haven''t already try it on a normal 4 to 3 ration. I mean you are compensating for it, but sometimes there is some other error elsewhere and everything messes up. Sometimes after exausting all logical solutions you try random things, and then you find that your error was somewhere else entirely, though hidden by a bunch of things that hide it most of the time.
i guess i should explain better.

all moniters 4:3 ratio (like tvs). ALL standard resolutions:

320x240
400x300
512x384
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1600x1200

are also 4:3 ratio, and can be adjusted to full the moniter screen using the moniter controls.

other resolutions such as 320x200 require the moniter controls to be adjusted so it displays properly (ie with the black borders). if this is not done, the image will be distorted. the alternative would be do do the aspect ration fix with the software. this is ill advised since ppl with their moniters set correctly will end up with a distorted image.

this is why some suggest only 4:3 resolutions. those that allow the other resolutions as well, odnt compensate for the different aspect ratio because it is (rightfully) assumed that the user (or manufacturer) set the moniter to show the correct aspect ratio so things appear as they should.

again, NO fiddling is required for an 4:3 resolution (the ones i listed above). doing so, will screw things over. if you do decide to do fiddling, remeber 4:3 is the target aspect ratio, not 1:1.

if the moniter and card are working (and setup) properly, any non 4:3 aspect ratio will be letterboxed, just like when movies are released in the 4:3 format and then letterboxed since the original was 16:9.
Thanks for all the help everyone. Ill take all the advice and see what I can do with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement