Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VoytekG

For Every Instance of a Class...

Hey! Is it possible in VC++ to create a class, and make a certain part of the code loop each time for every instance of that class? If not, are class arrays possible? I used a lot of VB and in it, you cannot make an array with classes, so can you do so with C++? Thanks, Voytek

Yes you can create class arrays and they should suffice for something like what you are describing. The efficiency of something scanning for instances of a variable in memory to just having your own class array is almost nil.

A class array would just simply be the following...

class MYCLASS
{
int x;

public:
MYCLASS();
~MYCLASS();
}

int main()
{
MYCLASS carray[10];

// you can use a class array just like any other array, by index

return 0;
}

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

Sounds like what you need are STL vectors. You could use a vector and then use iterators. This basically gives you the same functionality as the VB For Each loop.

Much more functionality than VB

#include <vector> //for std::vector

#include <iostream> //for std::cout

#include <algorithm> //for std::for_each

#include <functional> //for std::mem_fun_ref

using namespace std;

class MyClass
{
public:
MyClass()
{
stuff = rand();
}
int stuff;
void Print()
{
cout<<stuff<<endl;
}
};

//example use

vector<MyClass> my_classes; //make a new vector object containing MyClass''s

my_classes.reserve(100); //reserves space for 100 elements, not an essential step, but improves performances

for(int i=0; i<100; ++i)
{
MyClass data; //MyClass constructor called, stuff set to a random value :)

my_classes.push_back(data); //adds the data instance to the end of the vector (as opposed to the beginning - push_front)

}

//This calls the Print method of each MyClass in the vector

for_each(my_classes.begin(),
my_classes.end(),
mem_fun_ref(MyClass::Print));

It may look a little complicated, but it is very flexible. There''s a more integrated way to do that using an ostream_iterator, but that demonstrates a use of for_each.

quote:
Original post by skitch
i never realized STL was so nifty. what does mem_fun_ref() do?

It turns a pointer-to-member function into a function object you can use in an algorithm.

However, I'd like to point you towards the Boost library (see .sig) which provides utilities (boost::function, boost::bind, boost::ref) making the use of algorithms much easier (especially in the more complex cases).

The above call :

my_classes.end(),
mem_fun_ref(MyClass::‍Print));

becomes

my_classes.end(),
bind(&MyClass::‍Print, _1));

Which means "Bind the first argument (_1) passed by for_each (the object it is iterating over) to the first parameter of &MyClass::‍Print (i.e. the this pointer)".

It looks a bit more complicated that way, but 1) it's a uniform syntax (no more ptr_fun, mem_fun, mem_fun_ref, bind1st...) and 2) it is more flexible (go read the documentation).

Trust me, it will save you a lot of grief.

Too bad VC++ cannot currently compile boost::lambda (look it up too, it saves you on actually _writing_ functors ), though MS 'promised' it for the end of the year...

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on June 9, 2002 7:58:45 PM]