[java] Accessing the sound card

Started by
3 comments, last by Nexster 21 years, 10 months ago
Is it possible to access the soundcard in a Java application or is this out of Java''s scope?
Advertisement
Do you mean just to play some sounds or to write data into SRAM. You won''t be able to actually write into SRAM because the JVM will not let ya.
Well I want to make a tone generator where you type in a Hz and it plays the tone.

Well, I''ve looked around for the same thing a while ago, and I found this:
http://www.nuel.ca/downloads/synth/zrs-synth-0.95/
It''s a java synthesizer, capable of doing just what you stated you wanted to do. The source code is available, also. But from the short look I had at it, I do not believe it works by directly accessing your sound card. Instead, I think it actually assembles a wav file and plays it via the standard java sound methods. Have a look at it anyway and see if it could be of help to you.
Well you can use the sun.audio class for creating 8-bit 8k a second samples for jvm1.0 - jvm1.1 compliant browsers.

This class has been depricated in 1.2 onwards I think so it does depend on your platform....

There have posts on creating sound from arrays b4, even one I started so searching for sun.audio in the java forum should bring them up as the topics have example code in them....

:-)
ujhkfkfk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement