Begginer that really needs some help.........

Started by
18 comments, last by Jamibu87 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi! I am 14 years old and I am extremly interested in programming and design. But I know absoulutly nothing about either of them. I tried reading some articles on this website, but I didn''t understand them. I would really apriciate it of somebody could please help me out. Thanks!
Advertisement
Ok, between you and me. I think if you want to get started right away. Learn Visual Basic, it has everything you need to learn how to do all aspects of programming. In the future when you want to make big, resource intensize games. You can switch to one of the leaders like C++ or Java. Plus, VB is the easiest, good luck grasshopper.

Horny Farmer (Jolly Rancher)
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Here is all help you will need at the moment

Read trough what you already know, cause you will learn all you thought you knew.
No way! I will never write a profile signature! :p
Visual Basic is good place to start, because you will understand things better when you pass over to C/C++ (likely you will choose C++ later).

So, start learning VB and after about 4-6 months (depends how often and how much do you learn) pass over to C++.
Then the best choice is to buy a book about C++.

And this page is good to start, yeah .

You can mail me if you have questions.

[edited by - Wingman on June 9, 2002 7:16:39 AM]
C++ is started with: Download :Dev-C++ 4
get some standard tutorials

and learn...stay in it!
its worth it!
Where can I get tutorials for Visual Basic and where can I get the complier and stuff?
Hi everyone!
On Google.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
i don''t agree learning vb first. try to learn c++ or c if you learn c you''ll get c++ in a week or so. but from vb to c++ is not a good start.. i was there and i didn''t like it.

example.

to make a loop "repetition of codes during a certain condition" in vb you do.

For I = 0 To 10
(codes)
Next I

c++

for (I = 0 ; I < 10; I++)
{
codes
}

well vb is more understadable but to make game c++ is standard so don''t waist time and money in useless stuff. Also c++ has more features such as pointer and other sutff you can''t find in vb. From this you choose what u want
Metal Typhoon
Thanks for the rescouces! But........alot of the stuff made no sense. It talks about alot of stuff I dont know. If anybody knows a website that has a very easy tutorial on C and C++, please send me a link. I really want to learn it.......Thanks!
quote:Original post by Jamibu87
Thanks for the rescouces! But........alot of the stuff made no sense. It talks about alot of stuff I dont know. If anybody knows a website that has a very easy tutorial on C and C++, please send me a link. I really want to learn it.......Thanks!

C++ In Action

The main and most important step to learn a programming language is to CODE it. If it seems too hard, try copy the code exactly the way it is (from books, friends, just anywhere) to the source file (eg. .CPP) and then compile and run it. A few code-copying exercise will get u ''there''.

*Note*: Go for those simplest form of code 1st (eg. the 1st few samples from the C K&R Classic - aka Hello World!, Celsius-Fahrenheit converter - that''s where I started C programming)

"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement