Direct3DX forum

Started by
14 comments, last by stefandxm 21 years, 10 months ago
I want this, since I *never* used Direct3DX and all the posts about normal DirectX programming passes me by in such a hurry due to all his damn d3dx posts I also dont think Direct3DX has to do with api programming in general more like with general game/3d programming since its utilitys doesnt have to do with the hw api, its strictly math functions and other help stuff.. If you made a Direct3DX forum both d3dx questioners and ordinary directx questioners can have a more fair to get decent replys since atm this pages passes by in lightspeed
--mega!--
Advertisement
D3DX is highly integrated in DX, so it makes sense to discuss the two together in a single forum.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
I''d have to agree with IndirectX on this one.

My Site
DirectX has nothing to do with directx .. it''s a standalone library and has nothing to do with directx.

It comes with directxsdk , true, but thats prety much the only thing it has to do with directx to do
--mega!--
You''re right, it is a standalone library that you don''t need to program D3D games. The problem is that D3D and D3DX overlap all the time. If you''d like an example of this, take loading .x files. You have D3D interfaces such as IDirectXFile, IDirectXFileEnumObject, etc. They are Direct3D, not D3DX interfaces. However, it''s very difficult to load the meshes without D3DX functions such as D3DXLoadMeshFromXof. If you were to seperate the forums into D3D and D3DX, you''d have overlaps all the time.

If you get a chance, do a search on the DirectX forums for a few D3D questions. They are often answered with both D3D and D3DX responses. Not only would it limit the posting abilities, but it would also limit the number of responses to the poster. This would not help the poster and that''s not the purpose of the forums, is it?

My Site
making a utility forum beneath directx wouldnt decrease the amount of answers, but answers on ordinary d3d questions here is already decreased due to many people just go in here and find a normal d3d question in topic and then its all about d3dx wich most d3d programmers never use.. so yes it could be good to separate it some

Its like saying Glut is OpenGL wich is way wrong and they really dont have anything together
--mega!--
and to quote gamedev:

"DirectX
API-specific topics about DirectX."
--mega!--
quote:Original post by stefandxm
Its like saying Glut is OpenGL wich is way wrong and they really dont have anything together

No. Glut is a windowing toolkit that does not overlap with GL. It does things that are not GL-related so that you can have portable programs. D3DX, on the other side, expands the functionality of D3D and can''t be used separately (except for the math routines, which for instance are of great use in GL programs).

If you''re reimplementing D3DX and are offended when someone posts D3DX code, well, it''s your loss. Most people agree that D3DX is good and extremely optimized, and therefore use it in their applications. D3DX comes standard with D3D and I don''t see that changing any time soon.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
iam not offended and it wasnt the reason why i posted this idea.. however..

"if you''re reimplementing D3DX and are offended when someone posts D3DX code, well, it''s your loss. Most people agree that D3DX is good and extremely optimized, and therefore use it in their applications. D3DX comes standard with D3D and I don''t see that changing any time soon."

Most people do reimplement D3DX due its in many way unpractical..

And again, iam not offended by seeing D3DX questions, i just find it annoying to go into a post and see it was about d3dx and have to turn around and go out again.. its annoying.. and since d3dx isnt d3d api .. thats why i asked
--mega!--
So we should create another subgroup for questions about the D3D Common Framework? And another for people who have trouble with the sample apps?

A lot of questions (and discussions) overlap between the 2. It would make more sense (though I doubt the traffic warrants it) to split D3D off into a list separate from DirectInput/Sound/Music/etc.

A lot of people use DI/DS/DM but DON''T use D3D.

There may be people who choose to redevelop the tools in D3DX, but there are also people who choose to develop their own software rendering engines. If they''re doing it for educational reasons, then good for them. If they''re doing it because they think they can do it so much better, they''re wasting their time.

I''d like to see a list of the many ways in which D3DX is impractical.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement