World War III: Hell on Earth (need crits&suggestions)

Started by
15 comments, last by Gaping Head Wound 21 years, 10 months ago
lol!

Yep. That pretty much sums it up. I have yet to see a storyline posted that received positive, in-depth feedback. That might not be the fault of the people replying, though.
Advertisement
I liked your story, it wasn''t the most original, it felt like a whole. Good ideas.

I think I remember reading another post of yours in another forum in which you depicted the first mission as an example, It added to my understanding of your story and how it would play.

The fact that Earth think Mars is attacking them and the player don''t know they are not when playing through the human scenario. Then know what really happened when you play another scenario is just great.
GHW ( / AP, I assume), wait a little before you assume the worst about what you''re going to get...

OK, your initial setting sounds a little like the game ''Fallout.'' Earth is in a nuclear winter / major resource shortage / destruction of ozone layer / something else, everyone lives underground, and so on. It''s a perfectly valid setup.

By 3004, would it still take a couple of months to go to Mars? Maybe you should pick a planet a little further away.

Survival of the fittest - good. It would certainly set the correct sort of mood in the game, where everyone''s involved in all out war, not just the player. Mars being neutral - also good, and could produce some interesting ideas if they''re not entirely neutral and you add in switching alliances and so on.

Babies: Eeugh. Horrible. I love it. Nice gameplay solution, too.

---

Sonar / Radar: as already noted, no good. Electrical or light pulses, fine, but sonar (which isn''t anything in itself, just a certain type of disturbance in what it travels through) is out of the window. Otherwise, the idea of them moving from one planet to the next via a ''space pulse'' is interesting. Once its established, you can scare the player because it can happen at any time with no prior warning.

quote:
(US nuke weapons are failsafe meaning if they get f*cked up they wont work, but in Russia and so forth they''re fail-deadly, meaning if they get f*cked with they blow up.)

Um, what? Rethink / Rephrase that, please.

I like the ''Mars attacking us'' idea. However, you need to add something when the aid ships arrive; if Earth thinks Mars has been attacking them, then a load of Mars-based ships arriving isn''t going to be a good thing.

The survivors arriving on Mars seems a little confused, you need to clarify it. Firstly you say all the survivors move in with the families, then you say they all died, and then you say they have a seperate enclosure.

Insurrection = good. Remember that you''re running your Mars base by wealthy civilians too, not just military leaders.

Why do the electrical aliens look for a second planet before they''ve captured Earth?

Humanoid aliens: cool, will make for some interesting relationships between them and the electrical aliens.

I think that''s all. BTW, did you seriously start making levels before you had a storyline? Oh dear...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

my registration got screwed up... damn.

i guess i should rewrite it so that it''s clearer and more understandable.

I think it''s actually pretty original, i guess whenever people hear the words mars, colony, aliens, war, aliens and war in the same story they assume it''s another AvP clone.

ah whatever, i cant help that.

so you liked the babies idea?
anything you''d like to suggest?
a few months is pretty acceptable:
see http://www.sunspot.noao.edu/PR/answerbook/space-travel.html

remeber, direct travel and indirect travel (ie shortest time) are VERY different. it takes MUCH more speed and technology to travel to mars when ever you want in a short amount of time.

as said before, there is not enough matter (even space is not a total vacuum) in space to transmit any waves except light waves.

also realize that an "electrical" creature that is based on an insect mentality (ie single "smart" entity controls the drones), they would not be too intelligent. instead they desire to carry out their primal urges for survival (ie eat, sleep, protect the queen). thus they would never attack to seperate planets, unless their were enough to populate both of them. though that case, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for humans to prevent the attack. consider a swarm of fire ants of killer bees attacking someone. the prey dont survive due to the shear numbers. these aliens would attack in a similar fashion, one thing at a time to ensure theyd ont spread themselves to thin. for instance you dont eat another human, grubs, ants, worms, [ insert disgusting edible substance here ] unless you are really starving (talking bout survival starving, and not that stupid game show).

[edited by - a person on June 13, 2002 1:26:13 AM]
quote:Original post by a person
a few months is pretty acceptable:
see http://www.sunspot.noao.edu/PR/answerbook/space-travel.html

remeber, direct travel and indirect travel (ie shortest time) are VERY different. it takes MUCH more speed and technology to travel to mars when ever you want in a short amount of time.

Read and understood (up to a point), but by 3004 wouldn''t we have better fuels, more efficient engines, and some ability to brake? Even if we wouldn''t, wouldn''t the general game-playing public think that we would?

quote:
also realize that an "electrical" creature that is based on an insect mentality (ie single "smart" entity controls the drones), they would not be too intelligent. instead they desire to carry out their primal urges for survival (ie eat, sleep, protect the queen). thus they would never attack to seperate planets, unless their were enough to populate both of them. though that case, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for humans to prevent the attack. consider a swarm of fire ants of killer bees attacking someone. the prey dont survive due to the shear numbers. these aliens would attack in a similar fashion, one thing at a time to ensure theyd ont spread themselves to thin. for instance you dont eat another human, grubs, ants, worms, [ insert disgusting edible substance here ] unless you are really starving.

Do you ever watch Star Trek (the newer serieses, TNG and Voyager)? The Borg are similar to what he''s described. An individual drone is stupid - hence, "Drone" - but they all work with one mind.
Given that the mind - in our case at least - seems to be a collection of electrical impulses and activity within the brain, it''s possible that a collection of electrical impulses and activity just in a cloud could be semi-conscious. As such, although they''re a whole load of little electrical aliens, they form one ''being'' who can control his activity by thinking his way around.
Of course, that would make it somewhat difficult to play as the electrical aliens.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

no, man, no Borg stuff.

first off i''ve never even seen them, nor watched the star trek series. neither star wars. maybe i should, i might go see the new one this weekend.

watch the movie called VIRUS.

that''s where i got the idea.

and as far as difficulty playing as the robot race is concerned: in multiplayer it''s the same with different hud''s, and in single player it''ll be like looking through a camera.

and just for kicks...

there''s a robot that''s about the size of a shrimp and looks like a shrimp with wings which drills into the access port in the neural net implant and then kills the host immediately to prevent resistance. then it controls the body with electrical impulses. sorta like piloting a vehicle. the shrimp thing itself has a radar/sonar/whatever system for navigating so it doesnt need to be able to hear or see, so often times "occupied" bodies would walk around with their eyes closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement