how would u go about making a role playing game?

Started by
2 comments, last by IFooBar 21 years, 10 months ago
hi all. how would one go about making an rpg? like i suppose you would have to have a character movement engine. and a scene rendering engine. and then how bout the story line? would u program the story into the code or......i guess that would be stupid. how would one go about making a script engine to handle the story? are there any tutorials on script engines out there? thanks all
[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
A scripting engine article is already on this site. Click on the Articles link on the menu. This also depends on your knowledge and language. If your a newbie, do text instead of graphics.
I intended to post a little comment, but it did not wish to stay little. My views here are not necessarily considered the correct views by some, but I do offer a somewhat simple and relatively robust design pattern you might care to follow.

How would I...
Well in fact I am, and have found:
You need to absolutely decide "I want to design an rpg." or "I want to design an rpg game engine."
The two are indeed different and have differing success rates in my experience.

Moreover, I''ll address choosing: "I want to design an rpg."

If you truly want to design an rpg, start writing the design document that describes every possible detail about the game. The important design details include non-technical details: story line, characters, towns, enemies, look and feel and interfaces of everything. Then once you know what you want and its written down on paper, and not just some rough notion in your head, hopefully anyone could take your design document and program it in any language using any technique and they would have a good chance of making what you want.

That was half the challenge, unless you know what you’re going to do your going to have a hard time doing it
(Which relates back to trying to write a game engine, when you have no idea what the game engine needs to be able to do.)

Then you begin writing the technical document. (Many people jump in at this point, and just don’t know where to start for good reason) You choose what techniques will be both within you ambition to implement and can be actually used to implement your design document. Because you have a design document to look back on you''ll have an easier time seeing what you need. Once you do a good job on the technical document such that the ideas could totally implement the design document then the design of the rpg is hopefully done.

After design you should have the easy part, you start programming like any monkey who could understand a good technical document would do. Then you create content (art, scripting, whatever) to follow the design.
Unfortunately the easy part never actually is that easy, you end up realizing that your design document or technical document simply was missing some important details, so you back to the earlier steps to try and do them right.

Then, if you haven’t lost interest or failed to follow a practical design pattern, your have an rpg.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
thanks man that really helped. i already have a story...(almost) ... written up. im trying to get my ass to finish it off. but what u said really helped. thanks
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement