Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chbfiv

cd /mnt/cdrom :bash: i/o error

root>cd /mnt/cdrom ide-scsi:hda: unsupported cmd in request queue (0) isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:00,iso_blknum=16, block=32 bash: cd:mnt/cdrom: Input/Output error I cant even mount my cdrom to load my geforce drivers to run in Xwindows. Any ideas? Im rather lost on how to fix an i/o error on my cdrom other then, well nothing! I tryed remounting, because it mounted it on startup and nothing...I hope someone knows

I''ve really been hacking away at this...So far it still has the same error.

I was reading online and in a book how the location /hdx changes based on what IDE M/S 1/2 . It told me to symlink(symboliclink I guess) the /dev/hdx to /mnt/cdrom then remount it.
So, I have no clue if its hda,hdb,hdc,hdd, but its one of them, so I do this one at a time
ln -s /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom
no errors
then I try and mount the cdrom
mount -t iso9600 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
and it says incorrect fs type(iso9660) though I thought that was right, based on all my sources.
so I try the basic way
mount /mnt/cdrom
still the same error, I do this for all the locations /hda-/hdd.

It told me I can find out what the location is of the cdrom if I use dmesg, but it only showed an error log and I did not see any options(at least that I could tell) that would do it.
I understand alot of whats going on, I dont understand why none of it is working. I follow strick instructions and it still leads me to errors.

Someone must know!=) why am I smiling after all this, bah!

ln -s /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom
I don''t know why you''d do that. /mnt/cdrom should be its own directory. So, to fix this:
rm /mnt/cdrom; mkdir /mnt/cdrom
It probably told you to do something like this:
ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom
Where hda is replaced with the correct device. And then you could do something like this:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
To mount the cdrom. I don''t know which device your CD-ROM drive is, so you''ll have to figure that out on your own.

I just kept at it, seems that for alot of people the CDROM even though its not a SCSI is stored in /dev/scd0
I just went down the list od IDE and SCSI and found it.
Now I find out i need to install a new kernal,4.01 of Xfree86 and 3.0.4 of rpm to even rpm the NVIDIA drivers. Suck, but at least im getting somewhere.
Also if you got a sec, whats the command to save and to exit vi?
I used it to edit my /etc/fstab but I didnt find the save nor the exit command on the Manual , I just used ctrl-f4 to logon a user, which im sure is not good after a while without logging out

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by chbfiv
I just kept at it, seems that for alot of people the CDROM even though its not a SCSI is stored in /dev/scd0

An IDE CD-ROM will appear as a SCSI device if your kernel has the Emulate SCSI option enabled for IDE CD-ROMs. If this is disabled the CD-ROM will appear as a normal IDE device (i.e. /dev/hd?).
quote:
I just used ctrl-f4 to logon a user, which im sure is not good after a while without logging out

Using CTRL-F? to switch pseudo-terminal and login multiple times is fine.