how to clear a stringstream object in stl????

Started by
18 comments, last by ByteMe95 21 years, 10 months ago
strstream was a mistake just pretend it doesn''t exist.

ss.str().clear()?
ss.clear_str()?
ss.str_clear()?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
wow, ive never seen so many replies so fast! thanks everyone

There was only one correct answer to my question, and the answer is.... drumroll please.......

ss.str("")!!
thanks fruny

thanks again to everyone else for trying
- Rob

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
My S(h)ite
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
"I could never have done it without my books. And I want to thanks my parents without whom I wouldn''t be here today..."

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
ss.clear();

The above works for me(using VS .NET and its own STL library), it empties a stringstream object.
quote:Original post by Ziphnor
ss.clear();

The above works for me(using VS .NET and its own STL library), it empties a stringstream object.

Erm... no it doesn''t, it clears the stream''s status flags, as Fruny said earlier. Do pay attention!

[ C++ FAQ Lite | ACCU | Boost | Python | Agile Manifesto! ]
ziphnor, i find it funny that you said .clear() worked for you when all logic dictates it shouldnt, so did you actually TRY it and it did in fact work, or were you just assuming it would?

My S(h)ite
I find it''s usually best to use the .str("") and the .clear() methods together, as that should ensure a virtually fresh stringstream.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
struct mystringstream : std::stringstream   {   void clear()      {      this->str("");      this->std::stringstream::clear();      }   }; 

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:
ziphnor, i find it funny that you said .clear() worked for you when all logic dictates it shouldnt

Im not a complete idiot you know
In my code i use a stringstream in some string to value conversions, sometimes i had a problem with the stringstream containing some garbage after retrieving the value.
Using clear solved that problem, but when i think about it, this might have been due to some error during a conversion that was reset by clear....( i thought the garbage was leftover stuff from the previous strings added to the stringstream).

So the situation is not the same at all, i apologize.
Just tested it, and neither clear() or flush() empties the stringstream, but ss.str("") does....
Again, im sorry if i mislead anybody.

[edited by - ziphnor on June 11, 2002 2:19:18 PM]
its all good ziphnor, I thank you for trying to help

this is like the never ending post

My S(h)ite

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement