Best ways to speed up programs?

Started by
3 comments, last by Xero-X2 21 years, 10 months ago
Ok, well I would just like some input on how other programmers speed up their opengl programs up. From what I know drawing stuff that you can''t see is a complete waste of time, so may be you could tell me about a few diffrent techniques in this area?
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
I''ve always found that optimizing a program brings a lot of extra speed.

Seriously though, for graphics, there are many algos which will help. Backface Culling is one of the simplest ones. YOu may want to look into Progressive LOD, Quadtrees, BSP trees, Octrees for landscape.

The first thing to do in order to speed up its execution is to do a profile build and identify slow spots.

The basics : for things that do not change, use display lists (the gfx card will figure out what to do with them). For things that rarely change, use vertex arrays (esp. if you have high performance vx arrays). Always prefer the vector operations to the scalar ones.

And so on (read the optimisation hints in the Red Book).

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Try this page: OpenGL Performance Optimization
I''ve found that buying a new video card or, even better, a new computer usually helps speed up OpenGL.

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement