OldGames: Making Games from Old to New

Started by
182 comments, last by JWalsh 21 years, 2 months ago
Heya All! Welcome to our new thread. From now on, discussions on "OldGames: Making Games from Old to New" will be held here. If you're just joining us, you might try checking out the old thread in the Beginners forum under: "Need help getting started with your first game?!?" For more information, check out our site at: http://dungeons.dyndns.org/oldgames/ --------- For those people just reading this....the above link is the NEW link. Please visit it from now on ---------- Best Regards, Jeromy "Maverick" Walsh ------------------------ "The question isn't how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" -Boondock Saints [edited by - jwalsh on November 22, 2002 9:59:05 PM] [edited by - jwalsh on December 1, 2002 4:34:28 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
woohoo, I''m one of the winners ^_^.
That''s cool that you''re doing this

I''m new to programming myself.. but I had planned on recreating Final Fantasy 6 sometime in the future. Maybe spice up the graphics and add a few new features.. like mini games or something

-J
-J__________________________________________________________________________________________Don't ever frown. You never know when someone is falling in love with your smile.
Meister,

If you''re brand new to programming I think you may find the second part of each tutorial a little out of your league. The tutorials are designed for people who already know how to program, and who''ve already spent time and money learning to program games. This tutorials series just tries to take everything they''ve learned and tie it together and help motivate people to get started and finish those first few games.

People following along with this series are expected to be moderate to advanced C++ programmers with some experience in Win32 API programming. It is also assumed that the reader is capable of searching through the DirectX 8.1 documentation to obtain information about any questions they may have.

I''ll be here to help out as we go along though, and any questions you may have are welcome here.

Best Regards,
Jeromy "Maverick" Walsh
------------------------
"The question isn''t how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" -Boondock Saints
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Hey Master J!
Are you using Direct3D 2d thingie, or DirectX7 DirectDraw?
I wasnt planning on joining I'm aware that making a game is entirely out of my league it was just an idea for a project you guys could do.. it would be a step in the right direction.. it has a bunch of stuff to learn about ie. item lists, character lists, a complex battle system, etc, etc. Food for thought

Pipo: I am just barely finishing up my book "Learn to program in C++" by Steve Heller, I've been glancing through a book that I have by Jim Adams though as well as a book on special effects by Mason McCuskey (yes, I bought the whole series ) and I think when I do it though I think I'm going to use a 2d style of D3D so I can get some really awesome effects in there, like wouldn't the game be so much better with some awesome fire, or a poison cloud that lingers around for awhile? I dont know about how I would do legalitys (spelling?) and stuff.. with all the copyright laws and everything.. I guess I'll have to learn more about those soon.

-J

[edited by - meister_j on June 11, 2002 6:29:18 AM]
-J__________________________________________________________________________________________Don't ever frown. You never know when someone is falling in love with your smile.
I know the question wasn''t directed at me, but I''ll answer it anyways. We will be using the D3DXSprite interface in conjunction with the IDirect3DTexture8 interface to "fake" 2d in DirectX 8.1. I think the politically correct way to do it would be to initialize a bunch of surfaces and then blit to them by filling arrays ;( Ick! I''m not interested in throwing that at all of you just yet.

I dont believe in using DirectDraw either however. I like pushing the envelope of new technology. (I''m beta testing DirectX 9 right now).

I figure we should make the best use of the tools that are currently available, even if they''re not always better than the original. Though a lot of the issues people had with DX8 and the way they removed the DirectDraw class seems to have been remedied with DX9.

Best Regards,
Jeromy "Maverick" Walsh
------------------------
"The question isn''t how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" -Boondock Saints
Jeromy Walsh
what does the GD stand for in the game titles?
I can''t figure it out, i bet its obvious... GameDev?
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
quote:Original post by pan narrans
what does the GD stand for in the game titles?
I can''t figure it out, i bet its obvious... GameDev?

Yes.
As some may have noticed my site is down due to University computer problems/upgrades. The site will be down probably until tomorrow. The sooner we''re hosted on GameDev...the better.

Best Regards,
Jeromy "Maverick" Walsh
------------------------
Jeromy Walsh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement