DevStudio.NET Pro vs. Academic

Started by
8 comments, last by jeeky 21 years, 10 months ago
Besides being academically priced and having school related add-ons, are there any other differences between DevStudio.NET Pro and DevStudio.NET Academic Edition? For example, any stupid feature locks or dongles or anything? Thanks for the info.
Advertisement
everything is the same.
academic includes the ap comp sci libraries, and some testing material as well.
[size=2]
What, nothing in the EULA prohibiting distribution of programs built with the Acedemic edition?

Chris ''coldacid'' Charabaruk <ccharabaruk@meldstar.com> <http://www.meldstar.com/ccharabaruk/>
Meldstar Studios <http://www.meldstar.com/> - Creation, cubed.

This message double ROT-13 encrypted for additional security.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

quote:Original post by coldacid
What, nothing in the EULA prohibiting distribution of programs built with the Acedemic edition?

Obviously yes.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I have VC++ 6 academic edition, and I have looked through the EULA more than once and haven''t been able to find any restrictions. I could be missing it, but I don''t think it''s there.

I don''t know if VC++.Net is different though.
Is the compiler of the Academic version one-to-one equivalent to the one of the Pro version? IIRC, the VC++6.0 "Learning" edition included a compiler that did not optimize.

I can hardly belive that Microsoft will give away a full blown product at a very low price, with no restrictions at all...

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica
Forever trusting who we areAnd nothing else matters - Metallica
They are both exactly the same. VC++ 6 had an optizing compiler, profiler, everything. VS.NET doesn''t include the profiler (but then the non-academic version doesn''t either). There are no restrictions on distribution.

The only restriction is that you must be a student, and you must use VS for your learning. I was able to just go to my university bookstore and pick up VC++ 6 academic with no proof, but for VS.NET, I had to fill in various forms to prove that I''m a student and that I actually use it for learning.

Microsoft want to get as many students using their products as possible, because once familiar with them, they''re more likely to use them in the workplace. Most students learn with gcc and whatnot, because it''s free, so Microsoft want to counter that if at all possible.

codeka.com - Just click it.
quote:Original post by Gabriel Fleseriu
Is the compiler of the Academic version one-to-one equivalent to the one of the Pro version? IIRC, the VC++6.0 "Learning" edition included a compiler that did not optimize.

Oh yeah, the "Learning" edition was included with a couple of books, but it''s not the same thing as the academic version.

codeka.com - Just click it.
quote:Original post by coldacid

No. I read through the EULA, and there are no additional restrictions on the Academic version(as far as I could see; I''m not a lawyer). This question has also been asked on various MS newsgroups, and the consensus from the MS employees have been that you can redistribute as much as you want, even with VS.NET Academic.

From [1], a post by George Conard of Microsoft:

you should read the EULA for full details but the short answer is that you
can do the same things with the Academic version that you can with
commercial releases, e.g., release code you write under any license you
want. there are restrictions on some of the redist software so check the
EULA for details...

[1]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=license+EULA+group:microsoft.public.dotnet.academic&hl=en&lr=&selm=%23D3otHu6BHA.1384%40tkmsftngp02&rnum=2

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement