Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samm

reading a bitmap file

samm    122
Hello All, I was wondering if anyone knows of a program or an easy way to convert a bmp file to a txt file (I am being lazy and need something quick) Thanks for your help

FearedPixel    124
rename the file from bmp to txt ?

jk

but still, what exactly do you want the conversion to do? A bmp is an image, what kind of text do you want to take out of it?

If you want the image converted to ascii graphics, try
http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~wardog/

if not, then i cant help, sorry

samm    122
Wow - its good to see some pleasant responses. Obviously if you say the wrong thing in these forums you get told so hey?
I would like to see what is contained within the bmp file. I wish to know if extra information can be held within bmp file other than what is explained in all of the bmp file explantations on the net (yes I have already looked so I am not that lazy )

samm    122
OK - this is what I was thinking - I grabbed this from one of the file explanation of the bmp file (from the wotsit.org website)

"Bitmap Example

The following example is a text dump of a 16-color bitmap (4 bits per pixel):

Win3DIBFile
BitmapFileHeader
Type 19778
Size 3118
Reserved1 0
...................."

it then goes on - so is it possible to get this info from a bmp file???? thats what I originally meant - sorry for not explaining correctly to start with

llyod    122
Why, ofcourse. you could make a little command-line app that reads in the BMP header and simply output the data in any fashion you want. There are plenty of BMP readers for various apps, hacking together a text emitter is easy (assuming you know the basics of your preferred language, file I/O and all that)

Good luck

deux dimension now.