::grinds teeth::- DirectX Debug Runtime w/ Visual

Started by
3 comments, last by okonomiyaki 21 years, 10 months ago
I absolutely hate asking this, because I feel like it''s one that the ''usuals'' have answered a thousand times and should be simple.. but I don''t know why, and I''ve looked through past posts for much time but I couldn''t find the right answer. When I try to enable the DirectX Debug Runtime mode thing on my computer, it seems that the area to enable it is disabled. I goto Control Panel> DirectX> Direct3D and the area where I''m supposed to check Debug Mode is grayed out/disabled so I can''t change it. When I installed the SDK, I told it to install the Debug version. Any quick explanation on how I can get it working? When it''s enabled I swear I''ll stop asking stupid questions.. I seriously have tried to solve this by looking through past posts, checking microsofts site, and generally searching for a solution but it must be something so obvious that there''s no information on it posted anywhere.
Advertisement
Try reinstalling the SDK as a last resort. I think there''s an option to update/fix the install when you run the setup.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
I tried that, and all it tells me is that there''s already a SDK installed and it suggests that I uninstall that one first.
After that, I did uninstall my current one and reinstall (and it still didn''t work) so I reinstalled it without uninstalling the old one first and that didn''t work either.
So, I dunno *shrug*
Thanks though!
You may have installed DirectX 8.1 at some point, and if you have the SDK at just version 8.0, you will see this happen (since the version 8.0 SDK installer won''t override/downgrade the 8.1 runtime). The only nice way round this (that i''ve found) is to upgrade the SDK (or at least the developers runtime portion [see link at bottom]) to 8.1.

T

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/771/msdncompositedoc.xml&frame=true
You hit it on the head. Thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement