What does game writing envolve?

Started by
10 comments, last by Overload 21 years, 10 months ago
I don''t know very much about what game writing is like, so I just wanted to know all the things game envolves. Thanks
Advertisement
("involves", btw )

Game writing covers all aspects of creative writing in games. That is:

Plot and storyline
Dialogue
Things like info-lines, etc.

However, NOT advertising (AFAIK, in this forum at least).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hmm...I began a thread a while ago that covered this very topic, and there were some interesting answers if I remember correctly.

Here it is...

[edited by - tacit on June 10, 2002 2:23:39 PM]

[Edit -- fixed your link. Hope you don't mind... -- Kylotan]

[edited by - Kylotan on June 12, 2002 9:51:15 PM]
_________________________The Idea Foundry
You might also be interested in considering all the fundamental writing that''s inherent in the design process, material that isn''t exactly visible to the gamer, things like documenting game designs and processes, giving character backgrounds and plot summaries, etc.

Thanks for the replys, I kinda wasn''t sure what jobs a designer did and what the writer did. Also I think the link is brocken, tacit. So, tell me if I''m wrong but the designer writes the information that should be given to the programmers, artists, ect. and the writer does all the writng in more detail that the user will see?
Well, that also depends on whether the designer and the writer are two separate people. In many cases, the designer is also tasked with all the writing jobs...

(1) FPS or RTS etc.. where you set the scene

(2) RPG (now) where you take the player through a story

(3) RPG (future) where you create the environs in which the player can enact his/her own story

(4) MMORPG where you create the world and cultures etc.. within which the player can associate with others.

So it depends very much on what you want to do. The designer perhaps tells the writer what the structure of the game is. The writer then puts flesh on those bones.
I read your thread Tacit it was very helpful, one question though did you ever make it into an article? also thanks Crydee aswell.
You know what, Overload? I haven''t even had time to think about it since then. But, it''s still on my ''to do'' list. Glad the info was helpful...

quote:Original post by Crydee
Essentially - an no doubt I''ll get kicked for this - there are four types of game you write for:

(1) FPS or RTS etc.. where you set the scene

(2) RPG (now) where you take the player through a story

(3) RPG (future) where you create the environs in which the player can enact his/her own story

(4) MMORPG where you create the world and cultures etc.. within which the player can associate with others.

My only "complaint", and I use it loosely because it''s more of a modification to your types - every scenario you''ve pointed out *should* have a background story. I can''t imagine someone envisioning a future without contemplating how a society got there - the past. The same for the setting in a present-day scenario; there is still some history involved, if not of the land than of the characters involved.

A simple FPS/RTS has background involved as well; Doom had a basic, formulaic storyline but it still had a reason for your character to be there.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement