Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marcel23

Lets make a Doom 3 like Free Engine ! (GameDev open source)

Marcel23    122
Hi. First , sorry for my bad english , or bad ideas So , i allways read topics about people who would like to make a cool 3D engine , but they are just small teams. Why couldnt we make an Open Source project ? I would cool if we would try to make a Doom 3 engine like engine Oh dear that a sentence. We could seperate the Tasks, and work with a Sourcesafe like system ! I dont know much about engine coding (i just starten to code a octree) But i know , that with a clever use of DOT 3 Bumpmapping (not just use it in the model render) we can do something nice Is my idea a ugly one ? Pls response Cya

Marcel23    122
Tnx smarechal,but this is not what i mean.

The Gamedev HP is a great site and a lot of great coder are visiting it.

Why shouldnt we share our skills and create something in a big tream ?

Cya

python_regious    929
You will get the shit people, thinking they know stuff, bugging the good people, who will bug the good people, they''ll leave, and you''ll be left with people who know bugger all. Hence the project fails. Also, I''m doing that now, so why would I want to do it with you?

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

eldee    122
heh, if it were THAT easy to write a ''doom 3'' engine,
dont you think we would have done it by now
alot of gamedev''ers have gotten some really really
good looking engines put together, but i must say,
from what i''ve read about the doom 3 engine, it''ll be
a hard nut to crack.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

DeltaVee    138
Don't let the nay sayers shit on your idea, if they offer constructive criticm then great, otherwise just ignore them, they are not being helpfull.

quote:

Is my idea a ugly one?

No it is not. You should forge ahead with it, you never know, it might become fruitful. At any rate you will learn something along the way.

Goodluck.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

[edited by - DeltaVee on June 10, 2002 2:02:36 PM]

Atavist    122
Just how far along did gamedev gauntlet get before it fizzeled?
It started out with the best intentions, but from the outside it seems everyone involved made a pact to never speak of it again.
Well it wasn''t quite that bad, but neary so

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heretic.
It just means he was a heretic who was right.

t0bi    122
yeah and let''s built a 10GHz CPU at home! Intel and AMD don''t try hard enough!
I''ve got a hammer and some nails, I think thats a good starting point? Besides, I already used a calculator, so trust me, I''m very experienced in microcontrollers!

DeltaVee    138
tObi, it is immature remarks like your's that detract from GameDev. This is a forum for game developer hopefuls, not for venting geek angst when ever someone stands up and suggest a collaborative effort.

Suggestions should stand on their own merits. If you think they are unachievable then you should post constructive reasons as to why you think it is flawed. Posting childish sarcastic remarks only makes you appear ignorant.

If you want to vent your useless and pointless diatribe I suggest the GDNet Lounge, last I looked this was the 'Graphics Programming and Theory' forum.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

[edited by - DeltaVee on June 10, 2002 3:09:10 PM]

Yann L    1802
C''mon, no flaming please, let''s keep this discussion nice.

Of course it is theoretically possible for a hobby programmer to code a Doom3 alike. Why shouldn''t it ? But there are a few catches:

a) Time. One single developer will take years to do that. The Doom3 source will be released, the time he finishes...

b) An amateur team could do it. But you need *extremely* motivated and competent team members. They need to stay motivated for a long time (1 year minimum), and dedicate all their time to your project. I mean *all* their time, not just free time or so: this is a fulltime job. That usually means you have to pay them, at least for a living. If you can afford that, then it is definitely possible to create a Doom3 clone in a relatively short period of time. But the main point is your team: such a constellation is very, very, very hard to find. Should you have the chance to find it, then don''t waste it on an OpenSource project. Create your own company instead, get a publisher and sell your game.

c) Get a team of professionals. The obviously ''easiest'' way, if you have the required financial background...

So in summary: it''s almost impossible to create eg. a Doom3 clone alone or as a spare time hobby. If you can afford to pay a team, then things look different. But can you afford to give your product away for free as OpenSource, if you invested so much into it ?

/ Yann

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You would need one or two leader who would be dictators and
all others has to follow them. They would make the decisions and others would make code.
Leaders would lissen how others want to make it, but they would make the last call.

Also project like this needs good desing document, and making that takes time.

Also leaders should be allowed to kick people out of the team.

So it would not be fun, sorry

Yann L    1802
AP: a structure like this is what is commonly called a company... And it can actually be very fun, if you have a good team.

Dr Chi    122
quote:
Original post by Yann L

a) Time. One single developer will take years to do that. The Doom3 source will be released, the time he finishes...

/ Yann

thanks Yann, interesting reading.

is the Doom2 engine source available? do you know where I could get it?

coelurus    259
Doom3 is a state of the art realtime 3D engine. ID software has already been working for a looong, long time, and will work even more...

If you really want to write an open source 3D engine, go for something like CS, since it''s still very popular, and I still see requests for cd-keys . Half life is a few years old, so there are many improvements to make in the engine.

NeverSayDie    122
Dr Chi, the source code for DOOM (DOOM II is virtuallly the same thing) was released a good while back. You should be able to find it at id's ftp site.

As regards the open source DOOM 3 engine idea, it's a nice dream, and I don't want to shoot it down, but if (for example) comparitively few Half-Life mod teams make it to the finish line, buliding a AAA engine that goes beyond the current state of the art might be a little ambitous. Better to work on something simpler - perhaps mod the Quake/Quake 2 source code, or develop something with a focus on gameplay - can be more rewarding and thus helps maintain motivation.

If you really want to work on an open source engine dev project, check out the GarageGames Torque engine mentioned above or take a look at Crystal Space.

[edited by - NeverSayDie on June 11, 2002 4:48:40 AM]

Marcel23    122
Ok, your all right.

Maybe its better to tight up my coding skills.

I want to go to all 3D related "Game Institute" classes.

Tnx for all.

P.S One question. (octree engine)

What would you do if a Polygon crosses 2 notes ?

The most people say dont split them up , what would you suggest ?

Cya

Dr Chi, the Quake II source was released a few months ago. Yes, the full source code.

I think Tobi''s comment was funny and not inappropriate. Although it sounds fun working on a community project together, people often set their sights way ahead of them, like suggesting they copy an engine made by a seasoned veteran (Carmack) which won''t even be released until over a year from now.

But, I think making the utility to convert a high-polygon model to a low-polygon bumpmapped one would be a great idea for a group project. If you can do it, then you might use that experience/code for a game, or whatever. But first thing''s first. And if you set your sights very high, you won''t go anywhere.

~CGameProgrammer( );

__ODIN__    479
I totally agree with ~CGameProgrammer( ); there''s little chance that an over-ambitious project like this would actually succeed; however, there''s a lot to be said for working with the community on smaller projects, such as tools. I did a post on this earlier today "GameDev Tools"(http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=99182). It would be interesting to hear what sort of feedback you guys have on this idea. Personally, it would be great if we could share some of the tools often needed for games.

Allan

Marcel23    122
Yes a Model converter tool like the one is used in Doom3 is a great idea !

Hmm , is DOT 3 Bump mapping used ? (Need we use Pixel shaders to do them fast)????

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Bumpmaps don''t deform anything, they just affect lighting calculations.

Yann L    1802
quote:

Bumpmaps don''t deform anything, they just affect lighting calculations.

But displacement maps do, and since bumpmaps can (will) be used as displacement maps in the future (eg. on Matrox''s new Parhelia chip), such a tool surely is a good investment.

MadKeithV    992
Relief textures don''t deform geometry either, but achieve perfect perspective views of what they represent. Very interesting technique - it''s finally working in it''s basic form in my implementation.

Snakebite    122
If not a complete 3D engine, how about an archive right here on Gamedev of tools, code frameworks and libraries? Perhaps also some guidelines on how to structure code so it''s easier to use it all together in a consistent way. Even getting something like that started is not a small project. But it would be helpful in the same direction as a free 3D engine in that it makes it easier for small sparetime-teams to write games.