Lets make a Doom 3 like Free Engine ! (GameDev open source)

Started by
41 comments, last by Marcel23 20 years ago
I don''t want to sound negative, and I''m not bashing the idea. But it would simply not happen.

If you''ve ever been part of a team that has met over the Internet and takes on such a lofty goal, then you know what I''m talking about:

Stage 1: Lots of enthusiasm, e-mail flying, ideas coming out of your ears.
Stage 2: A few talented ones actually start making some cool stuff, and everyone else goes "oooo" and "aaahh".
Stage 3: The hard-working talented ones start getting burned out, and wondering why they are the only ones actually producing something.
Stage 4: A lot of the original gang has moved on to other flights of fancy.
Stage 5: the best and the brightest of the group say "@#%$ this! I''m outta here". End of project.

In the end, it''s one of those "wouldn''t it be cool if..." scenarios.

However if you''re determined to see it through, best of luck.

Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.
Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.
The Battlezone Launch Pad
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
Advertisement
quote:If you''re not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Srue it does, you just don''t see it first.

Plus you''ll have fun guessing what it was the lead dog ate that morning. Just try not to step on it.

"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
quote:Original post by Marcel23
Hi.

First , sorry for my bad english , or bad ideas

So , i allways read topics about people who would like to make a cool 3D engine , but they are just small teams.

Why couldnt we make an Open Source project ?

I would cool if we would try to make a Doom 3 engine like engine Oh dear that a sentence.

We could seperate the Tasks, and work with a Sourcesafe like system !

I dont know much about engine coding (i just starten to code a octree)

But i know , that with a clever use of DOT 3 Bumpmapping (not just use it in the model render) we can do something nice

Is my idea a ugly one ? Pls response

Cya

You have to keep in mind the Doom 3 engine was developed in a corp. enviroment with proper management and funding. Not to mention the 3D graphic prodigy that is John Carmack. Maybe in this case you should aim a little lower.
Patrick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement