Lets make a Doom 3 like Free Engine ! (GameDev open source)

Started by
41 comments, last by Marcel23 20 years ago
Hi. First , sorry for my bad english , or bad ideas So , i allways read topics about people who would like to make a cool 3D engine , but they are just small teams. Why couldnt we make an Open Source project ? I would cool if we would try to make a Doom 3 engine like engine Oh dear that a sentence. We could seperate the Tasks, and work with a Sourcesafe like system ! I dont know much about engine coding (i just starten to code a octree) But i know , that with a clever use of DOT 3 Bumpmapping (not just use it in the model render) we can do something nice Is my idea a ugly one ? Pls response Cya
Hmmm
Advertisement
If you''re looking for an Open Source AAA 3D engine, I''d reccomend GarageGames. They have the Tribes2 engine. It''ll cost you $ 100,- though...
but after that, it''s yours. They have an Open Source game too. Realm Wars. It''s an RPG/action/FPS I believe...

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Tnx smarechal,but this is not what i mean.

The Gamedev HP is a great site and a lot of great coder are visiting it.

Why shouldnt we share our skills and create something in a big tream ?

Cya
Hmmm
because it will fail as all the other big comunity projects did..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

You will get the shit people, thinking they know stuff, bugging the good people, who will bug the good people, they''ll leave, and you''ll be left with people who know bugger all. Hence the project fails. Also, I''m doing that now, so why would I want to do it with you?

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
heh, if it were THAT easy to write a ''doom 3'' engine,
dont you think we would have done it by now
alot of gamedev''ers have gotten some really really
good looking engines put together, but i must say,
from what i''ve read about the doom 3 engine, it''ll be
a hard nut to crack.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Don't let the nay sayers shit on your idea, if they offer constructive criticm then great, otherwise just ignore them, they are not being helpfull.

quote:
Is my idea a ugly one?

No it is not. You should forge ahead with it, you never know, it might become fruitful. At any rate you will learn something along the way.

Goodluck.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

[edited by - DeltaVee on June 10, 2002 2:02:36 PM]
D.V.Carpe Diem
Just how far along did gamedev gauntlet get before it fizzeled?
It started out with the best intentions, but from the outside it seems everyone involved made a pact to never speak of it again.
Well it wasn''t quite that bad, but neary so

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heretic.
It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
yeah and let''s built a 10GHz CPU at home! Intel and AMD don''t try hard enough!
I''ve got a hammer and some nails, I think thats a good starting point? Besides, I already used a calculator, so trust me, I''m very experienced in microcontrollers!

tObi, it is immature remarks like your's that detract from GameDev. This is a forum for game developer hopefuls, not for venting geek angst when ever someone stands up and suggest a collaborative effort.

Suggestions should stand on their own merits. If you think they are unachievable then you should post constructive reasons as to why you think it is flawed. Posting childish sarcastic remarks only makes you appear ignorant.

If you want to vent your useless and pointless diatribe I suggest the GDNet Lounge, last I looked this was the 'Graphics Programming and Theory' forum.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

[edited by - DeltaVee on June 10, 2002 3:09:10 PM]
D.V.Carpe Diem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement