Best way to draw an infinite sea

Started by
8 comments, last by lapougnou 21 years, 10 months ago
What is the fastest and the best looking way to draw an infinite sea?
Advertisement
How will you draw anything infinite in a computer?
With finite capacity of memory, finite display resolution and finite processor power?

[edited by - schiggl on June 10, 2002 10:05:35 AM]
I think he means in infinate looking sea. not actualy infinate?
Use procedural textures and procedural geometry.
Seas are not infinite because the Earth is a sphere and you can only see to the horizon. Game levels are usually flat, but you could still have the sea curve downwards a bit as it gets far away. Also you''d need at least a tad of fog - even on a clear day, things become hazy as they get very far away.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
I''ve implemented a small water effect with help of www.naturewizard.com, but it draws only a finite heightmap. I think I should use shift rows or lines of this heightmap to simulate infinite movement...

I''m also looking for a way to create nice texture and reflexion effect on the surface...
some of you guys take too fast. its not too hard to draw pictures of infinite things on a screen. if you know anything about computer graphics you should know that you dont try to draw everything.
When I say ''infinite'', I say implicitly ''look like infinite'' or ''enough big that the user will never see the end''...

Don''t take everything literally...
You want an illusion of an unending sea. Have you ever been to Universal Studios? They show you were Jaws was filmed. It is a big pool, not the ocean. But with a creative background image and some interesting camera trickery, they were able to achieve the illusion of an unending ocean.
------------------------------------------VOTE Patrick O'GradyWrite in Presidential CandidateThe Candidate who Cares.
best realtime way i know of is prolly raycasting a plane.. you can use some wrapping texture on this.. I you don''t need to rotate around the z-axis you can also use a perspective rotozoom, which is very cheap. Anyway, there are good tutorials on raycasting around, look out for them.

earx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement