do you use static_cast or C-style cast?

Started by
28 comments, last by felonius 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by sjelkjd
Ok then, so a question: which is better style?
int i=float(f);
or int i=static_cast<float>(f);

Mind if I add some more?
OR
int i = (float)f;

is the assembly output the same for all?
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Advertisement
My 2 cents -- of course you''re avoiding casts as frequently as possible - but where their essential and clutter up code you can just stick a macro definition in misc.h or something like that. ie:
//misc.h
#define RCAST(p) (reinterpret_cast)p
#define CCAST(p) (static_cast)p
#define BLCAST(p) (broken_leg_cast)p
(>-<)
Groan...
I have been thinking this over, and here is what I will do in the future.

I will use the new dynamic_cast, reinterpret_case and const_cast as recommended in the standard since they are rare and needs special attention (dynamic_cast even does something useful).

I will use the C-style case instead of static_cast. I think static_cast just messes up the code and makes it inconsistant with function-style casts and user defined conversions. And it won''t protect you anyway since the user cannot be prevented from using C-style casts.

If the C++ standard commiteee wants to get rid of C-style casts they should remove it completely - possibly only when a certain compiler option is given. The current state of affairs is not satisfying.
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Just an interesting note, here''s a little trick I learned to convert one pointer to another, without using c-style casts, or new-style casts:

// say we have a new thread, and we want to convert the LPVOID parm to a pointer to some class, say CFooDWORD WINAPI ThreadProc(LPVOID pContext){  union  {    LPVOID pVoid;    CFoo* pFoo;  } uCaster;  uCaster.pVoid = pContext;  // you can now make calls on uCaster.pFoo  CFoo* pObj = uCaster.pFoo;  pObj->SomeMethod();  // or just  uCaster.pFoo->SomeMethod();}  

Yah, it''s just a loophole in the language, and it''s probably not very tasteful, but interesting none the less.
daerid@gmail.com
Another, equivalent hack would be to memcpy the pointers themselves(specifying 4 bytes for length if you''re on a 32 bit architecture).

WHat is the advantage over simply casting it, though?

vector<int> v(istream_iterator<int>(cin),istream_iterator<int>());  
doesn''t compile on g++, and I never knew why. So I was reading Effective STL and it turns out that my statement gets parsed as a function call. So something like this:
int i(int(f)); 

gets parsed as a declaration for a function i, that takes an int and returns an int.
Just another point for the *_cast form of things.
quote:Original post by Promit
WHat is the advantage over simply casting it, though?

Obvious: casting wouldn''t be nearly so silly.
In C++ the following is legal:

float* fp;
fp = new float(2);

on the second line a constructor is being called, there are no casts. I assume the same is true for the following:

float f;
f = float(2);

thus what looks like a functional style cast is instead a constructor. Technically, functional-style casts are not part of the C++ language.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
In C++ the following is legal:

float* fp;
fp = new float(2);

on the second line a constructor is being called, there are no casts.

Sigh... why is it that for any topic on these forums that does not have a self-evident answer (and even for many that do), we just end up going round and round in circles? Let me reiterate: a constructor call such as the above is also known as a function-style cast (particularly in cases where it seems semantically logical to regard it as a cast). In the case of built-in types, a function-style cast T(e) is equivalent to (T)e. IOW, it is a cast, but has constructor syntax.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement