Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Tanner

Blits to backbuffer in DirectX8

Mark Tanner    100
Hi, Assuming I don't want to use textures, if I need stretched blits in DirectX8 to the backbuffer, (not copyrects since they won't stretch), how would I do this? Do I need to init DDraw or something using DirectX7 functionality or is there another way? I assume manually coding a blit to the backbuffer would be slower than using Videocard HW to do the blit. Thanks for any links or help on this! Mark [edited by - Mark Tanner on June 10, 2002 1:24:29 PM]

CrazedGenius    156
Please explain exactly what you are trying to do. If you are using DX8, you will want to use textures. Even you are using DX7 for 3D, you still wouldn''t want to swap between D3D and DirectDraw.

More details will help. Why don''t you want to use textures?

Mark Tanner    100
OK, say I want to have stretched blit capability for movie playback, splash screens, etc.

To get maximum compatibility, if you use textures, you''ll get some older cards only supporting 256x256 textures, etc. If you need decently detailed graphics (commercial quality), you''d need at least 640x400 or better source material. If you use one 512x512 texture, movies and screens will still look kinda washed out when stretched.

I know its possible to use textures, but if you''re running on a 256x256 max. texture card, and you want to blit a movie at 640x480, you need to lock and fill, what 8 textures or so per frame. That''s way slow. Much slower than DX7 DDraw.

I just want to get a way to strech blit 640x400 or 640x480 to the current video mode (say 800x600).

Hmm. Shouldn''t be that hard, right?